My Textures are TOO Small

(Ea Fab Corp) #1

Hi !! I am new here and this is my first question in this forum. I work with Autodesk Inventor models that, in real life, are of fairly big pieces (things like 40 ft tall/long per say). When formatting the models, I normally upload my own pictures of material finishes to make my models look nicer and more realistic, I always make usre the texture is a pic (jpg or png) that is square and good for tiling. The problem is that, regardless of the size and/or resolution of the pic, the texture is applied to my model in an insanely small square that you cannot even notice it unless you zoom a lot. Needless to say, when looking at the complete model, you cannot even notice the texture is there.

What am I doing wrong ? Am I supposed to format the texture file in a specific way so it applies to the model correctly ?? Aay help will be greatly appreciated... Thanks !! Pedro Quiroga

Hi,

Can you send me a link to the model so I can take a closer look? Thanks!

(Ea Fab Corp) #3

Surethane! I will let be more than happy!

Those are two of them. You really need to get close. I appreciate your help!

Pedro

(Prefixa) #4

Hello!! How did you solve the problem? I have the same one and can’t find the right way to do it.
Please help! Thank you so much!

Hello, can you please share a model link? Thanks!

(Ea Fab Corp) #6

WOW… Two years later.
If you check the thread I shared there the models I had on at the time. The link to them is the following

If you follow the thread, you can see the two links I left behind.

Basically, I realize that I am uploading my models at full scale and the textures are simple pics that are not bigger than 2x2 inches. So your system is tiling that 2x2 pic on a 10 ft x 10 ft part so the pics cannot be seen.

I have been uploading my models at a 10th of their original size and the problem has improved. But the system should have something that would allow a texture pic to be stretched a little bit. Anyway, any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It doesn’t look like that model is UV mapped at all, so it’s not exactly a question of texture scale vs model scale.

If there is no UV map and you add a texture, we just apply the color of the first pixel in the texture everywhere.

Looks like this model in particular is in STL format. That format does not support UV mapping / textures at all, so there’s not much we can do on our end.

The Tile Platform Assembly model is in OBJ format, which does support UVs / textures, but indeed there is an issue with them, possibly the scale. We don’t support scaled UVs.

What software is it from?

(Ea Fab Corp) #8

It is mapped but the texture scale pic is very small compared to the model size. You have to get super close to see the tiling taking place. We are uploading the OBJ because in your supported formats page it says that an OBJ is a preferred format over anything else. I am not sure what do you mean by UVs ?

So if I do want to put a material texture to any of the models, how am I supposed to do it. I am uploading your preferred supported format and you say you don’t support scaled UVs. So what am I supposed to do ? Just do as of now applying a simple color and try to make it look like metal ?

We work everything in the latest version of Autodesk Inventor.

Pedro Quiroga****Office: (724) 693 8800 xt. 102
Fax: (724) 693-8450
Mobile: (412) 999-2474

mailto: Pedro.Quiroga@EAFabCorp.com

VISIT US AT: www.EAFabCorp.com

(Chaitanyak) #9

Please refer to this exhaustive post about what you will eventually need to do - https://bitbarrelmedia.wordpress.com/2015/10/29/31/

I picked it since the user also uses Inventor and clearly states that UV mapping cant be done in Inventor(at least uptil 2015 when he wrote the post), you will need to move your model to a polygon modelling software(in his case he used 3ds max) to do that.

To begin with you need to understand the difference between solid modelling and polygon modelling. UV coordinates allow for accurate mapping of textures to a 3d object which is a method supported by games and most online viewers such as Sketchfab. Since CAD and solid modelling works in a completely different way, the textures you applied in Inventor will not display the same way in Sketchfab.

(Tomatoheadstudio) #10

As the others have said I don’t think any of the Autodesk CAD programs use UV mapping. They define a real world size to your texture and use some form of triplanar projection and repetition to apply the material.