Sketchfab Forum

Need help with Crystal texture creation

3d

(Lorenzoderijcke) #1

Hi I'm currently working on a 3D environment

which you can see here: https://forum.sketchfab.com/t/wip-azazels-tower/7404

I don't know if my request falls under the support section here but it is the following.

In my scene i have a model of a crystal cluster, which I want to use. But I need to create a texture for it now, and I am not quite sure how to tackle this material, can anyone help me or point me in a direction where to look for answers.

and here is a picture of what I'm aiming for regarding look and feel, it can be both transparent or cloudy.

Cheers :smile:

(Simon Kratz) #2

Hi there and nice project! I've been following it in the wip forum :smiley:
It really depends on the style you're going for on how to approach this. Do you want real dynamic reflections that change depending on how you rotate the camera (realistic)?
Or do you want to achieve a more painterly stylized look?
Of course you can always mix different influences and achieve your very own unique style this way so I think it would help to discribe how you want the crystal to behave.
I'm asking because the left image in your example looks hand painted with static reflections painted into the material while the one on the right looks like it's mainly driven by dynamic lighting, realtime reflection and environment maps.
Maybe you can explain a bit about the workflow for your other assets in the scenery so we can get an impression of something that matches the overall style :smile:

(Lorenzoderijcke) #3

thank you for the quick response @essimoon,

with this project's textures I am mainly using realistic textures which I use as a base and create a semi-realistic look.

like you can see on the first and second picture, i used photo textures from types of wood and materials like leather and aged paper and so on.

note : these textures are wip and nowhere final :wink:

and for the glass flasks I looked at the mental ray materials, the glass preset to be more precise.

which looks like this,

I think that it looks cool with the translucence and so on, and i think that this could work with the crystal too but I like the the white lines in the left reference picture as well.

the crystal should behave like this, if you like for instance place a light or fire near it, that it becomes emissive and starts to glow. much like the disney atlantis movie

although they are self-illuminating I think it can serve as a magical crystal as well.

I hope that this clarifies a bit more what I am trying to achieve with my model.

(Nomadking) #4

If you're shooting for a semi real look, you could just try simple gradient with some transparency (65% on the sketchfab material, no maps). My latest model (Superpowered Rocket Kart) uses this technique for the glass, and I think that would suit the look you're going for.

For the glow, you could just add some emission to material and some Bloom post process. Not 100% sure how this would turn out, but not at the right machine to test it right now :wink:

(Matthewbrennan) #5

Here's a super-simple solution:
You could give it a generic texture in Maya/Max, whatever software you are working in - just a diffuse grey texture. When you import to sketchfab, in the materials tab, you can change the color to a bright blue, add some transparency, maybe some blue/green emission, and voila!

NB: make sure you have a separate "crystal" texture created and assigned to just the crystal, so you can edit it independently in Sketchfab.