New fast Photogrammetry software RealityCapture

(Tojek Vfx) #1

I have recently been trying this RealityCapture software for generating 3D scans of environments. It is performing faster then Agisoft Photoscan, and getting more details in the poly model as well as textures. Really the best part is faster, and does not lock up my machine. Here is a video summary, and if you want to try the program, just fill out their form on the website for a trial version.

http://tojek.com/vfx/
http://www.capturingreality.com/

(Bart) #2

It would be great to run some comparisons here between different softwares, like we've done in the past. @abbyec, @HoangHiepVu are you up to setting up an example archive of photos and give this a try?

(Abby Crawford) #3

I will find some photos (a reasonably sized set this time around :wink:), post them, and give it a go. Good call, @bartv!

(Mauricesvay) #4

The 3D scanning seems really enthusiastic about RealityCapture. I hope they'll release a Mac version.

(Ben Kreunen) #6

Trying to edge their way into the market... "Reality Capture is available for everybody, completely free for commercial use until 31th of January 2016." That'll provide a reasonable time for testing

(Ben Kreunen) #7

Glad I only activated 7 days on my home PC. Needs a beefy GPU. At least Photoscan runs even if it is 4-8x slower than my work PCs.

(Iontrades) #8

I have been doing some tests I think it stacks up very well but is not perfect.

I think it is very fast.
I don't think the smoothing works. Models come out really jagged.
Importing edited models for re texturing doesn't seem to work.
I dont like that it does not take Nef files, I have to convert to jpg.
Even with my workstation PC I have to downscale texturing images, textures come out only looking okay.

I've been running lots of tests on my YouTube channel.

(Tojek Vfx) #9

One big reason I like this Reality Capture software now more then others is that it does not crash when I feed it more then 140 photos, which seemed to be the limit for my computer using Agisoft. This sw seems to never choke no matter how big the data set is. Also it is much faster, never have to wait overnight anymore for results. Lastly, the textures can be much much larger, and more control to break them up into parts. One downside is the textures cannot be HDR or 32-bit for linear pipeline VFX stuff. Since it is free now, I am using it for the rest of the year, making these larger environment scans.

Warehouse Interior scan by tojek_vfx on Sketchfab

(Bisenberger) #10

I have been playing with some photos from a project I worked on in 2004 that contains some structural elements. On this particular project I'm getting better results with RealityCapture than with the other photogrammetry software I use.

(Ben Kreunen) #11

Curious as to how 140 images could crash Photoscan... What specs are the images and what stage crashes? I've processed image sets >200 images (20mp) on my old home PC which doesn't have adequate specs to use Reality Capture

(Ben Kreunen) #12

Installed it on my workstation at work but it will have to wait for the new year before I can test it as it won't recognize the GPU when I use remote desktop. This is a little annoying as I use remote desktop for quick processing checks while on location (if wifi is available) but then it is beta

(Ben Kreunen) #13

Interface is a bt quirky but it looks to be well worth the effort. Definitely fast and supports fish eyes :smile: Alignment seems to prefer sequentially overlapping images so it has a few problems with some of my image sets, but nothing that a bit of file renaming won't fix.

(Tojek Vfx) #14

I like the RC software. Also there is a group on Facebook called 3D scanning users group, where some RC developers post, and they will answer and help with any issues. I looked at many of your environment models, especially interested in the path ones. This is something I am often trying to do, and for sure I will try your suggestion of low shot, then high shot for every position, that is a good one.

(Ben Kreunen) #15

I think RC will be a game changer for me. Being able to align a lot more images relatively quickly will make larger complex scenes possible on the same PC. The main practical difference I've seen between PS and RC is that RC works better with less separation between shots with default settings. PS will align images with bigger differences with default settings, but at a cost of longer processing times.. Producing a large point cloud of one of my paths (about 1/3 of the area of interest) took over a week and I was beginning to doubt that I'd be able to process the entire area. RC had problems with the camera spacing in some areas, but I got that answer in an hour. Started shooting this one again with a view to trying the entire area.

(Vislaw) #16

Want to thank you tojek_vfx for this great find. I'm very interested in testing this out.

(Matthewbrennan) #17

I haven't been able to get good results with RC using fisheye... serious bowl effect. In PS they had the lens profile options...haven't been able to find that in RC yet.

(Ben Kreunen) #18

Try Brown4 for the distortion model

(Matthewbrennan) #19

Thanks! will give it a shot. They must have added the other distortion models in a recent update...I remember searching for them but the only one available was Brown3.

(Pyp22) #20

Hi guys!

What about open source solutions? Have you ever tried Structure From Motion or Slam ? You may be surprised with results. Have a look to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnjVAKNuLmcsMkX0Gm_NdFw or of course here on SF: https://sketchfab.com/pyp22

@bartv, great initiative from you pal! Well done :wink:

Cheers

Pierre

(Bart) #21

Thanks Pierre :smile:

I never did get SfM to run properly on my Mac so I just gave up on it. Slam is new to me - I tried to Google it but couldn't find anything. Could you share a link?