Normal artifacting with gloss

(K Wickens) #1

Using a spec-gloss workflow, exported textures from Substance painter. It’s not an issue with geometry as its only happening around the edges of normals on the glossier parts. This works fine in marmoset but not in Sketchfab!
Do we think it’s a compression issue?
I have hand in next week for my final major project at uni and part of that involves a sketchfab upload so help will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance <3

Here’s the model

Hmm, I’m not sure it’s an issue with compression on our end. It looks almost the same with compression disabled:

https://sketchfab.com/models/2993ec90b8024681a4d4a6f9dd26b2b6?image_compression=0

(Dark Minaz) #3

how exactly did you export it?
the new substance painter exports to sketchfab with a normal map as png that shouldn’t create that issue.

if that might be the reason (that you exported it in another way) simply export the normal map as png and put it in the correct slot in the 3d viewer. hope that fixes it :slight_smile:

(Shaderbytes) #4

to be honest very fine surface detailing doesnt even need a normal map , the displacement is too little and is mostly over done in cg , normally you can just do that in the gloss channels , using a normal map here ( like in your screenshot ) is overkill

(Shaderbytes) #5

Here are some examples of a job im busy with , the metals all have different fine surface distortions but this is all just handled by gloss maps , no normal maps needed since the actual displacement is very tiny. These are screenshots of sketchfab renders :

(K Wickens) #6

Thanks so much everyone, I’ll keep what you’ve said in mind!
The problem has been solved by exporting as PNG, not sure why I hadn’t checked this first!
I think I’d just assumed it would export as a PNG :sweat_smile: ahaha

(Dark Minaz) #7

depending on the target export it selects jpg in some cases.
for sketchfab it now correctly exports all as jpg, except the normal map in png :slight_smile:

But nice that it fixed the issue :wink: good luck with your cake/spaceship for your uni project

(K Wickens) #8

Aha, thanks. You have no idea how much crap I’m getting about it looking like a slice of pie or cake :wink:

(Dark Minaz) #9

but space pies are great :open_mouth: