Oculus Quest - low quality 😭

We just learned there’s a better way to achieve this:

what Bay Raitt is saying was already came up, but it’s too heavy. It’s better for quality images of course, but not optimised at all in performance. You can barely move in the space. It needs more optimisation.

My 2 yrs old samsung S8 runs much better in VR mode over Sketchfab than my Quest.

It’s in your power Sketchfab, you can do it! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Yeahh, we need robust apps ! For Android, Iphone & Oculus ! The only way to have decent framerate & quality for VR ! It’s a big & long work, for perfect synchronicity with the web ! But you can do it ! Many thanks !

Hi community. I was about to go ahead with pulling the trigger on a Quest purely for sketchfab use (related to archaeology stuff I am working on) when I came across this thread. I was wondering if there have been any developments with optimising sketchfab to work well with the Quest.
Thanks

Me too!

We have no big changes coming up, so the quality will remain as it is now.

I just tested a SketchFab model with my Quest and the performance is horrible. I got barely 20000 triangles to display with 3 textures on it (Albedo, Normal and AO at 4096*4096) and the framerate is just BAD.

Very disappointing :frowning:

1 Like

Keep in mind it’s a mobile phone, that it has to render it twice, etc.
In theory, 20k tri should work, but many aspects can get in the way, like:

• 4k texture is likely to have bad impact on mobile (gpu bandwidth is bad on mobiles)
  • animated model are a problem (bones count have high impact)
  • Material numbers
  • transparency settings are to be carefully considered (like subsurface or blending)

In case of Quest/VR https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/articles/201766675-Improving-Viewer-Performance is even more important than the mobile viewer perfmance impacts (we draw twice, with high resolution )

An Iphone 6 is an old mobilephone and it does it way , way better.

Same problem with Oculus Go

Sorry I post again
Normark

yes, because iPhone 6 => 1334x750 pixels vs 2880x1600 and iphone CPU notably better than android ones.

The content guidelines posted above does help, and it’s the thing that work (small number of tri, small number of textures, geom, material, etc.), reopening old forum thread doesn’t help here.

We try our best to make it as fast as we can, but sometimes there’s hard limit, here hardware and browser platform.

If you need to make content for quest you need to adapt the content to the hardware, using all the tricks from mobile rendering.

I get your point, but wonder why very heavy 3D models with large textures exported
from UNITY performs extremely well in very high quality.
I understand that Sketchfab is webbased, but I don´t understand why it performs so bad
in Oculus GO.
The models in the Sketchfab app also performs well, but I was told that these models
were heavily improved, but at the end of the day they performs well.

We can go a long time, but in the end it will be about explaining the why of each performance guidelines posted above, but with long technical explanation.

Note that every content/performance optimisation guidelines are the same as ours, for technical reasons too long to explain, but Feel free to dive in, and read all oculus/arm/mali/apple technical optimisation guide :slight_smile:

As said above, we try our best to make it as fast as we can, but sometimes there’s hard limit, here hardware and browser platform.

Please understand that the difference between unity, native code, optimized by device exports, with long export time to optimize specifically and access to all device specific API optimisation, Versus loading in a browser, whatever the device is, with the fastest loading possible is a big thing.

Unity long export time allows for instance texture GPU compression specific to each device, scene specific optimisation to compute exact texel ratio to lower texture size without visible impact, triangle to screen ratio to decimate accordingly, shader specifically compiled for the content and the device, etc. )

3 Likes

Ok, I get your points, it´s a well argumented post.

4 Likes

Its not the resolution of the headset that is the problem. All the games and unreal devs are higher resolution on the quest. It is just sketchfab that has the poor quality. Nothing to do with the power of the quest. Or the resolution of the screens.

True, but you’re comparing native apps with a WebVR application.

I just tested sketchfab model in VR using Quest 2 via Link and Airlink, the image is double and with some reflections on all models, in chrome and firefox it is about the same, absolutely inconvenient to use. Guys, the VR community is getting bigger every day, and your product is raw, do a normal viewing in VR, once again everything is shaking and lagging, some kind of mirror reflections are everywhere!

+1 for sharp, detailed, smooth WebXR support on the Quest2!

Thanks to you and @relax for your messages. We’re aware of the issue and debugging it is on our list of priorities. I don’t have an ETA for improved performance, though.

Thanks.
And what about stereo 3D viewing method?
Should not be too hard to implement:
[How can i watch in stereo 3D? - #11 by toeppen]

It would be a very nice christmas gift for all 3D lovers…

I am here because I went looking for an answer to the same question, why is the quality so bad in vr, on quest 2, however it is also bad on vive pro with desk top pc and it used to be excelent.

When i first tried it in 2019 it was so sharp no matter what the polly count , then in 2020 it went low res for some reasion and never got any better in vr mode from then on, was there a update in 2020 to maybe web xr od some thing to mak it more compatable with the cost of quality?

We’re mapping the seafloor in New Zealand using photogrammetry and have been using SketchFab to visualise the models on a Quest2. HD used to work, but now the texture mapping seems stretched/broken (no sign of anything wrong in UV), but LD still works fine. Any suggestions? Screenshots attached.