Odd tearing and random extra geometry when uploading

(Cut Rex) #1

First of all apologies if this is a simple fix, I’m still fairly new at modelling.

I’m having some weird tearing/extra faces show up on some of my models that I’ve uploaded. The models look clean and fine in Maya and substance painter but as soon as I upload them to sketchfab they kinda break for lack of a better word. It’s not just one model that’s affected, I’ve noticed that 5 of my models have this issue in one way or another. I’ve also noticed that these issues seem to be localized around areas that I cut out from the model by using the difference function in maya, maybe that has something to do with it.

Here’s how my E-5 looks in maya:

Here’s how it looks once uploaded:

And here’s a link to the model:

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edit: I’ve tried exporting in different formats and updating my drivers but the same thing still happens.

Edit 2: Problem solved, I had massive N-gons throughout my models. Triangulating seems to have fixed them all.

(Nomadking) #2

It looks like the surface on that side of the gun near all the fine details is a massive N-gon (N sided shape) which is causing issues on the export. You should stick to triangles or quads (3 or 4 sided) for any final meshes.

Looking at the shape of the area, you’ll probably have to add some more points on the face to get those concave shapes to triangulate well.

The Mesh > Triangulate command could work to quickly fix it, but as nomadking points out, it might not be perfect if the shapes are too complex.

(Cut Rex) #4

Wow I had no idea about N-gons. Just triangulated it and re uploaded and now it looks perfect! Thanks a lot for your help.

(Nomadking) #5

Glad to help :slight_smile:

@jorditorres was looking into improving our tessellation, but it’s not clear if we could account for every case. That said, 3D software’s triangulate functions always seem to do a great job handling both convex and concave n-Gons…