Only a Rat... Not so mad after all

(Joshuasander) #1

So, this is my proposal for the contest. This little guy have a sort of a basic design (Somebody said Splinter ??) that i want to explore. The expresion will be not too crazy so i will have to support his hunger for world domination with the enviroment. The image have the basics of the character and to give him a little bit of personality, however there is a lot of identity left to design.

Please, do excuse my drawing, im not too well formed on it, the 3D version will look better, promise.

So, do you have any advice ? any suggestion about the character ? maybe he needs a third arm ?? :stuck_out_tongue:

It's the very first time i will try one of this contest, like in forever, so i want to do it right, step by step. And hopefully with your help we will get to the end line with a little, no soooo cute or mad, but worth it, scene.

(Theedstar1) #2

This might be the most menacing scientist i have ever seen i have a feeling this is gonna look so awesome i mean if the sketch looks this fabulous then its solid that the render will be at its best oh oh oh and if i could make a pick i would say foot L looks pretty cool ........ good luck

(Bart) #3

Oh he definitely looks creepy enough yes :smile: Welcome on board! Don't forget to subscribe to the contest updates thread to receive a notification when we have news to share.

(Bryantenorio) #4

This looks really nice! A third arm coming out of his back could be cool. Like maybe he was a test rat, who escaped, and is now taking revenge on his former human captors!

(Joshuasander) #7

Thanks you so much @THEEDSTAR1 !! Hopefully it tuns out good enough, and by the way, the left foot it's gonna be amazing !!! :smiley:

It would be a great backstory @bryantenorio !! Our little rat have some anger issues... hahahaha. mmm..., instead of a third arm, what do you say about a robotic arm acopled to his shoulder ??

Sorry for the delay in my replies, this week have been pretty busy, however i have been working on the character, at least his head, the image below show three sides of the model that i already have and i would love to read your thoughts about it.

And about the head, i have had problems with the hair, and i can't decide on a style for the character, i present you two ideas, in hopes to hear your opinion, would love it, actually.

If you think there is a better one for him, please, feel free to draw it on any of the images above, it would be great to see your ideas !!.

I already started working on the body, hopefully in a couple of days i can present it to you.

Cheers !!

(Theedstar1) #8

Love love looooooving the update man this is coming along very nicely

(Joshuasander) #9

Hello there !! Just a quick update...

I have been working on the body (image below), and even when there is still many needed corrections i think i have it in a proper shape, or at least the one i want.

To the next update i hope to have more or less finished all his clothing and accesories, as well a new hair that i have in mind.

So, what do you think about ? would love to hear your comments !!

(Bryantenorio) #10

Oh this is turning out really nice! I like the 2nd hair better. It has that Mad science feel. The first hair makes me think that it is made out of Gold, and would be on Elven armor or something.

(Shaderbytes) #11

I like hair 1 and 2 .. but maybe 2 is gonna work out better .. hard to say until it is all in context with the scene..

(Joshuasander) #12

@bryantenorio, you know... i havent done the connection with an elven armor, and now that you pointed it out, i cant stop thinking about it... Maybe even some kind of Azteca costume ?, i wonder if that's were my mind took that from...

@shaderbytes, you are right !! i want to focus the scene as a series of annotations calling out cliches of a Mad Scientist (domination plans, pointless huge computer, laser ray trying to shrink and steal the moon...), so the character have to have some cliches too, like his hair, clothes and... robotic leg ?

So, trying to integrate some cliches into the character, designed the costume (more like stealed) and with the 2 hair options give him a new one, all that in the pretty skectchy image below...

Thank you all for your feedback !! Love your comments !!... and im greddy enough to want more... so, what do you think of the clothing ? :grin:

(Joshuasander) #13

Hello again !!

I "finished" the clothing (as in: ¡¡ omg, i cant use any more time on that !!), almost everything on the model is unwraped and "ready" to texture. However due to the fack that i know close to nothing about rigging i will have to pose the model in zbrush and then texture it in Substance. Below you can see a render of what i already have.

By the way, what do you think of the accessory in his tail ? maybe too much ?.

I will start designing and building the props before texturing anything, that way i wont be jumping between phases in the different assets.

So, until now what do you think ? i have tried my best with the time i have had, of course there is always space to improve but i have to move on or i will not be able to meet the deadline.

Till the next update !! Cheers !

(José Guilherme) #14

Hey nice model I liked the first head more than the second, the accessories are looking good maybe put on the arms and legs too. What do you planning for texture? Can't wait to see it keep going!

(Joshuasander) #15

Hi @joseguilherme, thank you very much !! The second one ? Good choice my friend ! but it messed up a little bit the silhouette, so i had to discard it, sorry. For the textures, im planning on a PBR workflow, think gonna try it with Substance Painter and see how it goes. Im almost finish making all the props, so soon enough i will be texturing !!, thanks for your comment :smiley:

(José Guilherme) #16

Cool! Don't worry it was just my personal preference. Good choice on the textures as well!

(Bart) #17

Hi,

a quick personal reminder that the Mad Science contest closes next Wednesday (midnight, 23:59 New York time). So whatever you decided to do this weekend - you'd better cancel it and finish your entry :slight_smile:

As always, you can read contest updates here, and if you have any last minute questions feel free to email me at bart@ this website.

Good luck!!

(Joshuasander) #18

Thanks !! By the way, your corgi project it's amazing !

By the way, sorry for the long silence, had a lot of work to do :smiley:

(Joshuasander) #19

Hallelujah !! I have finished my entry. I actually tought i wouldnt make it. Took me quite some time and sleepless some nights but i think it ended quite alright. However i might have over do it with the environment textures and the model it's a little heavy because of it, hope it's not a big inconvenience for any of you.

So, here it is, hope you like it!!

The mad rat - A Cliche guide by Joshua Sander on Sketchfab

(Joshuasander) #20

Thank you @bartv for the reminder !! Just finished my entry...waaay to close to the deadline, hahahahaha :smiley:

(Bart) #21

It's great! Glad you made the deadline :slight_smile:

(José Guilherme) #22

hey @joshuasander congratulations! Very funny and interesting guide.