Photogramettry Frame design

(Erwan Louis Le Bozec) #1

Hello everybody.
I am a product designer student from the UK. My hobbies are motorcycles, vehicle in general and technologies. ( I have not found the introducing page)
As my final year project, I am designing personalised motorcycle components, produced with 3D printing.
I would love to allow people to have access to an online platform where they can customise their parts for their motorbike.
However due to the different dimensions of frames and geometries, the library would be limited.
So I thought that the person could scan their frame with their smartphone and uploaded onto a cloud where a basic base could be generated which would fit onto the frame. Everything above that could be modified such as the shape and finishing of the part. However before I start doing testing with basic photogrammetry app , i was wondering what is accuracy you guys have reached and what were the conditions. Perhaps you would have some test result to share, I would greatly appreciate your help.
Thank you very much, and have a nice day!

(Nebulousflynn) #2

Hey @Erwan.Louis.Le.Bozec, welcome to the forum!

I think what you are suggesting might be trickier than you think - most 3D scanning for industrial design is conducted using handheld structured light scanners or laser scanners.

You might get adequate accuracy using photogrammetry but probably not in a phone app (yet).

Here is a quick search of Sketchfab for photogrammetry scans of motorcycles which should give you an idea of the kind of results you can achieve using desktop photogrammetry apps:
https://sketchfab.com/search?q=motorcycle+photogrammetry&sort_by=-pertinence&type=models

Typically photogrammetry does not automatically record the real world scale of an object - you have to scale the 3D model yourself using known size objects in your 3D scene.

Hope that helps a bit :+1:

(Michal Zurawski) #3

This is possible only in the theory. The work that needs to be done by the user is too complicated.

But of course I can be wrong.