Photogrammetry in dark spaces

Hello everyone.
I am planning to take pictures of a room which has the only source of light - a hole in a ceiling. Guess there will be too dark and i will need to use lamps. Requesting some advice how to place lamps and make lighting smooth.

Hey @artyomtarakanov, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Your best bet might be a ring flash as opposed to standing lights, the Swedish National Maritime Museum hot some good results of dark spaces with this technique: Sketchfab Community Blog - Digitizing a Preserved 17th Century Ship

Another idea would simply be to use a tripod + higher ISO / longer exposure times.

Hopefully other people will jump in with advice too.

Tom

1 Like

There are some difficult corners to reach, so you would probably need to use a monopod to reach them. If you use a ring light/flash on it, it would go pretty good i think. Or maybe lower down some diffuse lighting from the middle of the ceiling :sweat_smile:.
Or, as @nebulousflynn suggested, use a tripod from the ground. And if you really need to capture all the corners, and have the possibility, use a scaffold to place the tripod for the higher parts.

2 Likes

Ok. Will try with a tripod and long exposure. Thanks

1 Like

Tripod and longer exposure should be enough. It might be good idea to use camera bracketing for HDR. You will struggle less with texturing.

2 Likes

Well, here is the result

I am not absolutely satisfied with it because i couldn’t capture the darkest areas properly and had to trim them off.

2 Likes

Cool model btw. Have you used HDR and how many photos you took?

I took about 700 photos in RAW and prepared them for processing in ACR by this tutorial. Lack of time and camera batteries made me refuse shooting in HDR

I’d say that is a pretty successful capture :+1:

What size texture map have you used?

It’s 2k

OK - depending on the UV layout, I wonder if you could manually paste a higher resolution version of the information panel into the texture. The annotation is a nice, but too small to read.

This is a very small criticism - I think this is good work!

I wil try to fix the texture later, thanks
Is there some way to set image size in the annotation? Or make an annotation pop up in a window?

Great end result, well done!

Not via the regular editor but you could create custom annotations using the Viewer API