Photogrammetry vs Scanning?

(Jerryfisher) #1

I've had very limited experience with using a Kinect scanner and found it wasn't up to my personal standards for 3D modeling real-world items. I had more experience with photogrammetry and chose to stick with it. This was a few years ago.

I'm curious if I should try it again? What specifically has me questioning my old decision is the recent Nefertiti Bust 3D model. I was surprised to see the artists using what looked like a Kinect scanner to capture the bust. Maybe I was unfair and rushed in my earlier judgement about the quality of the scans I was able to create? Or have things improved dramatically with handheld scanners?

I only know one person who has a similar scanner that is mounted to his iPad. He still uses it but has told me that it doesn't capture the kind of detail I am able to create with my photogrammetry. Detail is very important to me but the Nefertiti Bust was stunning in that regard and I am humble enough to admit that I'd never be able to capture the forensic level of detail (the slightly raised edges of the different painted designs, spalls, chips, etc). That person uses his scanner in a museum and told me the main advantage is speed for him versus the time it takes for me with photogrammetry (but with considerably better details).

So does anyone have any opinions? Would it be worth my time to try working with a scanner like the Kinect? Or is my present photogrammetry method the way to stay?

Add new "3D scanning and photogrammetry" group in forum
(Ben Kreunen) #2

I can drive Agisoft Photoscan as fast as a NextEngine laser scanner at full resolution (complete end to end workflow) and get a much cleaner mesh and far superior texture. I'm now using Reality Capture as well, which is much faster. The resolution you get from photogrammetry depends on the quality/size of your source images and the distance from the subject, so you can get higher resolutions by just shooting more images closer to the subject. The Kinect doesn't come anywhere close to photogrammetry with a decent camera. But it depends on what your application is and how much resolution you need.