Question about Standard License for Illustrations and Comics

Hello!

I read the EULA but still have questions. I also have been trying to find some answers in the forum about the terms and rules of what I can and can’t do when purchasing a model registered under a standard license. And I got a couple of questions and hope I finally get some answers.

• Now I am wondering, if can I distribute purchased 3D Models (commercially) for my comic, animation or Illustration?

For example, if I purchase a house model and use that house model in my own context for a 2D art form such as a comic…Can I do that or is that breaking any of the rules?

• And what about selling illustrations I painted as a print, that contain some purchased 3d models. Am I allowed to do that, since I am not distributing the 3D file itself?

To bring back the example I gave before. Can I use the house model for an Illustration by placing it in scenery such as a landscape I painted?

Now I’m asking these questions since I planned to create a fictional town (by combining and using different types of house models I purchased) for my comic, but I just don’t know if that’s permissible or not…

Another question I have is: Can I combine parts of the purchased models with other purchased model parts and modify them as much as I want?

I appreciate any input, thank you!

Hi there,

thanks for the great questions.

Obviously, I’m not a lawyer but since it seems like you are using the purchased model in a larger piece (derivative work) where it’s only one element of the art standard license will cover these use cases both in 2d art and illustration - even when you monetize and distribute your final work. As far as models are not downloadable by your customers you should be all good.

Regarding the last question - you can modify and combine purchased models as much as you need to - but if it’s an art that’s created without your original work and just features purchased models as a centerpiece that would not be permitted. It must be a derivative work for the license to cover you.

I hope this helps and feel free to reach out at any time if you have any follow up questions at store@sketchfab.com

2 Likes

hi, thanks for the replay! So just to make it clear again, creating a town full of purchased buildings would be alright as long as I add my own original “artistic” touch to it correct?

but if it’s an art that’s created without your original work and just features purchased models as a centerpiece that would not be permitted.

Does this mean I can’t use a house/furniture model as my main characters home? Since this would require me to draw and illustrate a lot of establishing shots of the house, which would make it a centerpiece. Or is it still covered by the standard license as long as I add my own originality to it such as the environment (Painted trees, streets, sky, etc.)?

I am sorry for asking so many questions, I just wanted to be completely sure!

thank you so much again

Here would be a good example of what I mean!

The Statue in the centre, the building in the back and the cross in the foreground are purchased models I combined for this scene, which I painted over a bit and altered to fit into the night scene environment and added more things like the ground ,vegitation, fog, lights, sky etc.

Is this permissible use?

1 Like

hi

yes since the model is just a part of environment you created this would be perfectly OK.

This is derivative work

2 Likes

this helped me a lot,thank you : )

1 Like

Happy to hear it!

Here if you have any other questions.

1 Like