Random Voxel Work

magicavoxel
voxel

(Nomadking) #1

After taking part in the HeroicVoxels contest, I can say that I've been well and truly bitten by the voxel bug!

It's going to take me while to work it out of my system (I seem to be adding 5 new projects for every 1 I finish...), so I thought I'd make a thread to share some of my random pieces while I struggle to get passed this difficult addiction :wink:

First up we have some Portal 2 fanart:

Friends Forever by NomadKing on Sketchfab

Deviant Art: Wallpaper Link

It's a pretty simple piece. The original idea was going to have a room around it, but after struggling to get a good pose for Chell's 2nd hand (the gun is slightly out of proportion and led to a stretched arm look if I tried to pose it underneath) I came up with the outstretched pose which demanded a more action style pose. The rest just fell into place from there.

I think it works pretty well for a small scene. I think the portals came out great! I thought about adding annotations, but there was just too many good angles to highlight - it would have looked like a Sudoku!

Workflow was modelled in MagicaVoxel, unique UV's baked out in Blender, posed and lit in Unity (for familiarity reasons).

Comments, criticisms, and throwing of rotten vegetables welcomed! :smile:

(Lrtvri) #2

looks great! i love the light effects

(Nomadking) #3

Thanks @lrtvri, the bloom post process is doing a lot of the work :wink:

I've also added a link to a wallpaper version a friend asked for.

(Nomadking) #4

Some more random fun voxel stuff to share today!

This time it's some Overwatch fanart, featuring Bastion & Ganymede:

Bastion & Ganymede - Overwatch by NomadKing on Sketchfab

Took slightly longer than I wanted due to having to adjust the scale of things a few times - moving entire arms is slow work! It came out quite well, although I almost wish I'd done each of the arm and leg sections at 90 and rotated them into place for posing... but done is done! :smile:

(Nomadking) #5

After a month of no time for voxel work I've dived back in with this piece of Game of Thrones fanart:

End of Watch by NomadKing on Sketchfab

I can't wait for the new season... give. Now. Give now! :grin:

(Nomadking) #6

Decided to take part in #WeeklyVoxels this week and came up with this Flower:

Kingsblood - Weekly Voxels by NomadKing on Sketchfab

Not bad for 15mins work :wink:

(Catilaporte) #7

Room by catilaporte on Sketchfab

I decided on a new serie: "before and after", if anyone is interested in participating in the "after" , I will be happy to make the model downloadable,,, :wink: ( oups! am not sure I posted this in the right place...
sorry @nomadking
:cold_sweat:

(Nomadking) #8

Don't worry about it @catilaporte, I don't mind if other people want to share random voxely goodness here as well :wink:

(Nomadking) #9

Another #WeeklyVoxels piece:

Nakatomi Building by NomadKing on Sketchfab

Went a bit off reference for the ground surrounding it, but really wanted to get that logo in there! :wink:

(Nomadking) #10

Recently I've been working on and Adventure Game for #AdvJam2016 and opted to go down the voxel route for looks. This is H.E.B. 5, the main character, also known as No.5:

H.E.B. 5 by NomadKing on Sketchfab

And some stop motion walking:

H.E.B. 5 - Walk Cycle by NomadKing on Sketchfab

It's not a pure voxel animation, sine I exported the limbs and rotationally posed them, but I'm pleased with the end result :smile:

(Nomadking) #11

Another #WeeklyVoxels piece. Theme this time was Weapon:

Ashbringer by NomadKing on Sketchfab

Pretty happy with this. Ended up being bigger than I planned due to needing extra voxels to get the detail into the hilt area. Think the colours on the blade work really well :smile:

(Nomadking) #12

For the latest #WeeklyVoxels I came up with this Hotdog Cart

The theme for this week was food, and for a while I struggled with finding an idea. I didn't want to just make a single item of food, or go too big with the object as an excuse to get more detail into it. After trying a few simple things out, the Hotdog shape was the best of the bunch, so I added a few variants for different sauce combos, and the rest of the Cart came out of that. :slight_smile:

(theStoff) #13

Liking the hotdog stand! Makes me want to make a game where you sell hot dogs haha.

(Nomadking) #14

Or maybe a a game where you play a Hotdog trying to Cross a Road? :wink:

(theStoff) #15

Also good :smirk:

(Sebastieniglesias) #16

Hello everybody, I don't really want to create a new topic but I want to share my first magicalvoxel work with you anyway. So here they are:

(Sebastieniglesias) #17

and: