Save screenshots from the sketchfab viewer?

(Simon Kratz) #1

Hi all,

for a while now I've been actively using a couple of cg/3d modeling forums a lot and I'd love to share some of my sketchfab stuff there. Sometimes embeddable models are not possible so I at least would like to share a screenshot of how the 3d model looks inside the viewer.
So I was wondering since it's already possible to capture a preview picture for the viewer) is it in any way possible to save a snapshot from the viewer?
I could of course just browse to the model I wanna screenshot and use an external program for screenshots but maybe there already is a nice method that captures high resolution snapshots from the viewer that lets me save them smile

Thanks in advance.

(Rbr) #2

Afaik there is no way to do this... A nice way that I can think of is full screening the viewer and Alt+PrintScreen to capture current window to clipboard and paste n' save it with an editor then uploading to imgur or something. Or the faster way is to directly upload the clipboard using a capture app like ShareX or puush (no manual editing, saving, uploading necessary)
http://puush.me
https://getsharex.com/

(Mauricesvay) #3

Internally, I'm using a homemade app to take screenshots. Give me some time to polish it a bit, and I'll share it.

(Simon Kratz) #4

Awesome! Thank you Maurice! smiley

(Mauricesvay) #5

Hi @essimoon,

you can try the screenshot app here: https://labs.sketchfab.com/experiments/screenshots/

Two things you should know:
* the app will attempt to open a new tab. Make sure your browser allows it.
* the screenshot file will have a weird filename (like: ca6b5360-70a5-40d5-98a6-ff28bf0b36bf). Just rename it as screenshot.png.

I'll probably improve the app later, but it should do the work already.

(Mauricesvay) #6

I've made a quick update. It should save proper .png files out of the box now.

(Gilles38) #7

Extremely useful. Thank you a lot.
In a perfect world it would be nice to have it run on a set of 3D model numbers.
Is that possible ?

Batch screenshot taker...hmm

(Delicious) #9

I can't wait for this screenshot feature to be added to the Sketchfab viewer. Meanwhile, I'm having issues with actually taking a screenshot...I get a white flash when I click the button, but no resulting file. I've checked common file locations to no avail. Popup blocker disabled. Safari 9.0.3.

It's a Safari thing. Chrome saves .pngs just fine. Bummer.

@delicious Are you talking about the screenshot generator or the Save View button on a model page?

(Delicious) #11

I'm talking about the screenshot generator. Doesn't seem to work properly in Safari.

Hmm you're right. @mauricesvay any ideas? File save dialog never opens in Safari. I don't see any errors.

(Mauricesvay) #14

Safari probably doesn't support saving browser-generated files as downloads. I'll see what I can do.

@jacobvr you're right, but that button is now "Save View" ("save screenshot" was always a bit misleading... "where's the image??")

We're talking about the actual screenshot generator experiment.

(Lapin) #16

Interesting fact. If the disable support for webgl in the browser and right-click in the window with the model you can save a screenshot of the 15 positions of the model.)

Yes, those are the "360° image-based fallbacks" we create for every model :smile:

(Lapin) #18

exactly :smile:

(Mauricesvay) #19

@james @delicious I've updated https://labs.sketchfab.com/experiments/screenshots/ to work in Safari. The quality should be improved in some cases also.

@jacobvr if you want to download the thumbnail we generate when you click on "Save view", you can use a tool such as Facebook OpenGraph Debugger. Just enter the address of your model and hit "Debug". The tool should display a list of page meta data.
Just search for "og:image" to get the thumbnail link.

(Delicious) #20

Hot damn that works great. Gotta turn the pop up blocker off, or it loads the screenshot in the same window as the viewer. Thanks!

(Janicki R) #21

Well this link does not work anymore :frowning: