Scaling bone to zero value causes scene clipping to be messed up

bug-report
animation
3d
upload

(Shaderbytes) #1

Hi Sketchfab Devs

Another day another bug discovered.

So a scene that has a skinned mesh which I previously was scaling two of the bones to 0.01 had no camera clipping issues. The same scene which I now changed those bones to rather scale to zero ( they remain in the same position ) causes sketchfab to do the horrible near plane clipping thing that usually happens on large scenes.

Im gonna try it with a very small but not zero value next .. will report back

(Shaderbytes) #2

Changing to a very small non zero value did not help .. it seems it does not like something About the new scaling and position.. Remember the same scene with different scale and position does not produce this error. None of the bones scale and position are moving outside the bounding area of the entire model between version one and version 2 so there should be no reason why the camera near plane is changing.

(Stephomi) #3

Edit: ok after investigation we found the issue and it's on our side (@aurlskfb), we are on it.
I won't dive into details, but basically there is a missing bounding box for one of the bones (the top level one).

(Waleguene) #4

Hi @shaderbytes,

As @stephomi said, it's a bouding box issue (it's dropped during the processing).

I keep you in touch when the fix is live, thanks for reporting :slight_smile:
(In the meantime, as a workaround, I would suggest you to detach the plane and keep it unrigged, that should fix the issue)

(Shaderbytes) #5

Thanks Gents , I wil try it with the plain detached :slight_smile: I'm glad you found the issue on your end

(Shaderbytes) #6

@waleguene your suggested fix worked Thanks. @stephomi I realize now that in this faulty model the only geometry assigned to the top bone "master" is the plane. I presume it is because it has no height that something was not handled correctly? Just a guess.

Cheers

(Stephomi) #7

Good guess!
We considered the bounding box of this particular bone invalid because one (dimension z) was 0.

Should be fixed next release :slight_smile:.