Setting to disable 3D when Browsing

(Gamnamno) #1

My computer is rather cheap and browsing this website freezes it. But I would still like to be able to browse it, download some models, read their descriptions and comments. But some highly detailed models make my computer freeze completely to the point where I’d rather reboot it.

So I was suggesting to add an Interface setting for the website to browse it with the 3D being replaced by preview images.

Could this idea be considered ?

(Hansolocambo) #2

Damn, even my second really crappy computer without even a graphic card, just and Intel GPU chip, can browse and display Sketchfab without issues. If your computer freezes browsing maybe should you consider… avoiding webgl in general ? If you don’t have a graphic card, and obviously you don’t, I really doubt that a website, THE very best webiste specialized in displaying high quality 3D in their great webgl engine, is going to consider recoding everything so that people who cannot display 3D in their browser, suddenly : can. There’s no magic. If you wanna live with your time, you need the computer that goes with it.

(Gamnamno) #3

My computer specs :
CPU: Intel Core I7 4510U 2.00 GHz x 2
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 820M
Memory: 3.7GB
Operating system : Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit

This computer is just 3 years old.

I didn’t say I can’t display any 3D, just the highly detailed models. Unfortunately you can’t predict whether a model has a high mesh density or not before opening it.

That said, disabling WebGL did the trick. It replaces the 3D by a turntable image sequence.
Thank you for that info

(Hansolocambo) #4

Your RAM might be the issue there. 3.7GB if it’s the RAM, it’s insanely low. RAM doesn’t cost much and I can’t even remember when I last had 8GB. I’m running computers with at least 16 for… what feels like forever. You should really consider trying to get some second hand extra RAM if you can’t really afford that. Running a computer with less than 8 was a joke (I’m thinking about SuperMarkets selling cheap computers with often very low amount of RAM) 10 years ago. But nowadays…

(Dark Minaz) #5

it still would be a nice option, especially for doing collections etc where you have to go to the model page.
just seems like wasted loading power sometimes.

but i guess via webgl.force-enabled to false and then true once i am done that could be done, didn’t even think about that :stuck_out_tongue:

(Gamnamno) #6

not for the average “working” desktop user who doesn’t do any gaming/computer graphics.