Sketchfab Forum

Sketch up model to sketchfab

(Atrodler) #1

as a new user, basic not pro, can i turn on shadows? can i turn off edges?

Welcome!

Shadows:

You should have the option in SketchUp to disable exporting edges. Are you using the exporter?

Or, if you do export edges, you can make them 100% transparent after uploading:

Quick follow-up, you'll want to set each "edge_color......" material to 100% transparent:

(Atrodler) #4

support king indeed. thanks for your input. BIG difference.
more:
. i used pbr workspace instead of classic. is one better than the other for sketchup models?
. i finally have shadows now, still a little odd in a few areas. looking for a sunny day. does classic or pbr work space have any effect on success on sunny day shadows? what is the best lighting method to achieve this?
. playing with bump maps. going well. although my model has only 3 or so textures/materials, they exported as many. This is probably due to some of the UV mapping variations from a couple of plugins i use. is there a way to mass edit material settings in sketchfab?
. i did use the exporter extension but i do not have any options prior to it sending off. (was working on older laptop with SU8) I have SU2015, would options show up there? in any event, i edited the edge transparency once in sketchfab. not too tedious.
thanks again.

. i used pbr workspace instead of classic. is one better than the other for sketchup models?

PBR will have better lighting and material effects in general, but I usually see SketchUp models in Classic. If you want to use PBR, you will probably have to play with 3D Settings more smile

. i finally have shadows now, still a little odd in a few areas. looking for a sunny day. does classic or pbr work space have any effect on success on sunny day shadows? what is the best lighting method to achieve this?

Environmental lighting is better in PBR, but only regular lights will cast shadows (PBR and Classic) - you can place them anywhere in the scene and change colors, brightness, etc. For a "sunny day" you might try a bright directional light.

. playing with bump maps. going well. although my model has only 3 or so textures/materials, they exported as many. This is probably due to some of the UV mapping variations from a couple of plugins i use. is there a way to mass edit material settings in sketchfab?

Yes, it could be a side effect of your plugins and UV mapping, I'm not really sure confused

. i did use the exporter extension but i do not have any options prior to it sending off. (was working on older laptop with SU8) I have SU2015, would options show up there?

Yep, the more recent version has more features. I always recommend turning OFF "Preserve Component Hierarchy" (in the next version of the plugin, this option will be disabled permanently. See http://forum.sketchfab.com/t/sketchup-model-processing-and-performance/1073 for details.

(Atrodler) #6

Very good. I'm beginning to like this more and more. I see that on an iPad the environmental lighting effects come through but nothing directional so therefore shadows do not appear. At least ambient occlusion looks good. Is that a performance issue? Compatibility issue?

Also, if I want to make changes to the model, does the 're-upload' function then bring in the changes without overwriting all my sketch fab settings, like bump, glossiness, etc.? Or do I have to redo those every time.

Your help has been much appreciated.

Nice catch, looks like you've found a new iOS bug! We're looking into it.

At the moment, Re-Upload will remove all 3D Settings (and keep the same Views, Likes, URL, etc.) In the future, we hope to improve this or offer material preset features.

(Taylordesign) #8

I just started as well, the exporter plugin has a check box for Edges and it sounds like they are suggesting turning it off along with "Preserve component hierarchy" see image of the exporter below

@taylordesign - thanks for the screenshot. Exactly right - I HIGHLY recommend you DISABLE "Preserve component hierarchy". It is meaningless for Sketchfab, and results in very inefficient geometries.

Again, in version 2.2 of the plugin (coming asap), this option will be gone and automatically disabled.

(Atrodler) #10

Thanks guys. I moved to the new machine with SU2015 and the exporter looks like the screen shot. My number of material files for the bell tower model went from 50 or so down to a few. Setting up in sketch fab was much easier with way fewer materials to manage.
Thanks again. Oh, sorry about the bug discovery. Glad to hear it is on the list to be fixed though. Look forward to that update.

FWIW, you can double-click on your model in the editor to select that material smile

(Geoffbell4962) #12

is that some kind of new iOS bug?? nice...

Yep. We'll get it fixed as soon as we can.

(Atrodler) #14

What file format does the 'sketchup uploader' export as?

COLLADA (.DAE)

If you're using SketchUp Pro, I recommend using OBJ instead.

(Atrodler) #16

OK. thanks. I don't have pro but I can search for an OBJ exporter plugin and try that. Also, I did export as a collada file and I get a .dae file and a folder with the texture/material files in it. Do I re-upload the .dae file only in sketchfab? I suppose that should have been my original question. I want to use the 're-upload' feature in sketchfab and therefore cannot use the uploader plugin for sketchup. How do I do it?

Wrap the DAE and the texture folder up together in a ZIP.