[SKETCHBOOK] Chaitanyak

sketchbook

(Chaitanyak) #1

Hello Sketchfabbers, I'm chaitanyak, one of the sketchfab masters.
Since i keep putting personal projects and things on a backburner while i deal with work deadlines i figured I'd start a sketchbook as well.
I tend to work on whatever i find interesting, so some of my works happen fast, others don't.. this way i can keep track of progress.

Pirate Rats (VR EXPERIMENT)
I had worked on a game with an indie developer that never got far.. so decided to use the ultra low poly (optimised for mobile) characters to create a weird surreal vr scene..
the character animations are not done yet.. placement is done ..

heres a rendered frame. I will be exporting a VR video for youtube so it can be experienced in both sketchfab and youtube.

water game assets by Chaitanya Krishnan on Sketchfab

heres a test I did of this kind of rendering..

heres the model in sketchfab

360 Test 003 by Chaitanya Krishnan on Sketchfab

Instructions on how to render 360 vr from blender are available here - http://chaitanyakrishnan.blogspot.in/2015/09/360-degree-video-from-blender.html

Another variation i want to do is composite 3d animation over a 2d vr video..
I managed to do it here with some 2d animated clips i did a while back..

(Chaitanyak) #2

So i come from a backround in webdesign..this was back when we used flash for everything.. so we created some pretty epic website ui .. and just plain went crazy.. eventually as fewer people wanted flash websites i just narrowed down to few other things and abandoned web design altogether.. A few people kept coming to me for UI work.. but they just want boring stuff.. so I usually just avoid it.

Now, have decided to do a few futuristic ui with inkscape and blender.. heres a first..

Window Widget by Chaitanya Krishnan on Sketchfab

(Chaitanyak) #3

I found out that today May 13th was World Cough Drop day.. so googled cough drops.. thought i'd model a vicks drop.. but then as I got into the history of it, i came across this crazy old brand called - Frog in Your Throat!

Frog in Your Throat is a cough drop company from the late 1800s - early 1900s
Reference textures from here - http://kozmicdreams.com/froginyourthroat.htm

so i quickly whipped this up.. textures could use a lot of work.. will get to it.

Frog In Your Throat by Chaitanya Krishnan on Sketchfab

HAPPY COUGH DROP DAY!

(Simon Kratz) #4

Interesting that "having a frog in your throat" is a saying in America, too. And even more interesting that such a day exists :smiley:
Happy cough drop day everyone!

(Chaitanyak) #5

am the cofounder of a small film and animation studio.. my partner and I had always been planning to get a overhead camera rig table made.. i had this idea for it.. probably not the one we will build though.

overhead camera rig with turntable by Chaitanya Krishnan on Sketchfab

(Chaitanyak) #6

Weird Bubbling drum.. for a larger project..

the background is just filler.. the main thing i was trying was the bubbling substance

my first upload had weird lighting.. as id first tried animating a light rising up with the blobs..

@shaderbytes had suggested baking it in.. which was a great idea..

but i wasnt getting results i liked..
so started painting it in

will keep tweaking it..

file is up for download, incase you need a closer look(the barrel textures are atrocious :stuck_out_tongue: )

(theStoff) #7

Very clever bubble effect! I like it :smile:. I am finding though having the dark color under the glowing color in the viewer breaks the effect a bit. Should be all the same shader inside there I feel.

(Chaitanyak) #8

good point @christophs !
will tweak that inner color

(Chaitanyak) #9

was doodling a couple of mechs.. this one looks like i might have fun modelling..

(Chaitanyak) #10

Some analog modelling these last few weeks.. using epoxy clay (commonly used by plumbers)

Day of the dead inspired skull usb drive..

Cat creature.. made by slapping the clay onto some magnets.. so basically the limbs and head can be disassembled..

and finally what started as an attempt at a White Walker from Game of Thrones..
but once i slapped on the googly eyes.. it stopped being serious :smiley:

(Chaitanyak) #11

did these phone doodles while the 2016 paralympics was going on..
Was really inspired by the athletes from the Indian Paralympics team. Unfortunately they don't get much press coverage, so finding photographic reference material was very problematic.. I had to take a few artistic liberties.
update: have started adding non indian paralympians to this set as well

full set of illustrations at - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lOqzo

may explore this in 3d once i find some more reference images.. or might do it in some kind of non pbr style

(Chaitanyak) #12

a doodle that i photographed and then animated on my phone..

goes in the list of things i need to model over a weekend

(Chaitanyak) #13

planning to do a mech model sometime soon.. doodles for that..

wasnt very happy with these.. so started using other objects as inspiration for the body mass..
like the way this turned out.. not sure if its coz i might have seen it or something like it somewhere :smile:

(Chaitanyak) #14

currently working on this idea for a submersible craft..

(Chaitanyak) #15

was looking at some submersibles for refrence.. and realised we need windows on the bottom more than the top :slight_smile: also added a few cylinders at the back (that i'm not happy with.. same with the rough color scheme
have to add a grappling arm somewhere.. and some floodlights

(Shaderbytes) #16

we all live in a yellow submarine :slight_smile:

(Chaitanyak) #17

inspired by @dark_minaz 's 3december challenge list.. am going to attempt it myself.
heres his list -

I'll be posting these on a seperate thread here -
https://forum.sketchfab.com/t/3december-challenge-chaitanyak/11749

(Chaitanyak) #18

A WIP upload.. trying out the spotlights and other materials.. will work on a few modelling tweaks(seams and access hatches) before i texture it.