Sketchfab Halloween 123D Sculpt+ Challenge

(Adam Beamish) #1

Welcome to the Sketchfab Halloween 123D Sculpt+ Challenge. It's that time of year again to let your inner demon out for an airing!

This challenge is about creating your own original scary creepy character for Halloween only using 123D Sculpt+ to sculpt with. It can be a sculpted character bust or full body character. Choose any style you want but make sure it's scary and creepy looking!

123D Sculpt+ is available free at the Apple App Store, Google Play Store and the Microsoft Windows App Store.

Good luck and create something scary!

Here's what you could win!

• 1st place - 6 months of Sketchfab PRO, Sketchfab T-shirt, Sketchfab Cardboard
  • 2nd place - 3 months of Sketchfab PRO, Sketchfab Cardboard
  • 3rd place - 1 month of Sketchfab PRO, Sketchfab Cardboard

How to Enter

• Create your own original scary creepy Halloween monster.
  • Either create an original sculpted character bust or a full body character. The more dramatic you make it the better.
  • Start your own topic in the Sketchfab 123D Sculpt+ forum where you document your work in progress (WIP). Post regular updates with images and be sure to mark which entry is your final submission.
  • Publish your final entry to your account, and tag it with #123dsculpt and halloween-2016-challenge.
  • All work must be posted to the Sketchfab website and not the Autodesk Community to be judged!
  • You can submit as many entries as you like, but only submit new work that you created for this contest! Entries close Thursday, November 3rd.
  • Remember to put as much time and effort into your creation as possible! 5 minute projects will not be considered for judging. So push your skills to the limit!

Terms and Conditions

• No purchase necessary.
  • By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
  • No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab employees or their families.
  • The promoters decision is final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
  • Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
  • Contestants models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #123dsculpt and #halloween-2016-challenge to be considered.
  • Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
  • Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
  • The winner will be contacted by November 11th, 2016.
  • Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.

(Craigastewart) #2

I'm definitely in! Looking forward to taking part!

(Adam Beamish) #3

One Model or Several?

To keep the challenge fair to people who don't have access to other 3D software a one model approach is advised. Each artist's software limitations are taken into consideration and what they can achieve with just one 123D Sculpt+ model.

It's ok to sculpt extra models in Sculpt+ to add accompanying detail. But make sure the main model is one sculpt and no additional work is added using other 3D software. Using another 3d program to combine your models into one scene is ok. But the original 123D Sculpt+ model must be unchanged apart from positioning, rotation and scaling if it is needed. Still use an art app like ArtStudio to create extra textures from your original 123D Sculpt+ colour texture or use the post in the 123D Sculpt+ forum to find out how to paint bump, roughness and glow texture maps using just 123D Sculpt+ itself. Utilise as many of the Sketchfab texture channel effects that you can and what you think is necessary.

But if all you can manage is one model from 123D Sculpt+ that's ok! Just do your best and export it to Sketchfab! Remember to show your work in progress images! :slight_smile:

(Bart) #4

(Adam Beamish) #5

Creating Extra Textures

There is another way to generate other texture maps in 123D Sculpt+ which will take longer than using a simple clean texture map.

What you can do is once you have finished sculpting your model you can duplicate it as many times as required and use each duplicated model as a texture layer.

• On your original model you paint the colour texture.

• On another duplicated model paint a bump texture using greyscale colours.

• Again on another duplicated model paint a roughness/glossiness greyscale texture.

• Do this as many times as required!

• Each model used to paint a different texture in 123D Sculpt+ must use the same model base as the original colour painted model! This is very important to make sure that all the textures produced have the same matching UV coordinates!

• You will need to email each model to yourself and save the models to a very useful app called Documents in the Apple App Store or any other file management program that lets you unzip files.

• In your email open the model email you have received and choose open in Documents app. It will save the zip file to Documents. In Documents double tap the zip file and it will unzip it to a new folder. You can then save the texture to your photo gallery so that you can import it into Sketchfab using the texture import option in the Sketchfab model editor.

• Remember you only need the texture and obj model from your painted model and just the textures from the duplicate models for their different textures!

It's not a efficient way of creating extra textures. But this will allow you to add more detail. It will challenge you to push what you can do in 123D Sculpt+.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

(Adam Beamish) #6

The Sketchfab Halloween 123D Sculpt+ Challenge is now closed!

Thank you to those of you that took part and the winners will be announced soon. :slight_smile:

(Adam Beamish) #7

Thank you to all who joined the Sketchfab Halloween 123D Sculpt+ Challenge!

Contact information will be given soon for the winners below.

First Place

Plague Doctor by Craig A Stewart.

Second Place.

Steampunk Scarecrow by Royboy5.

Third Place

Fallen Angel Final by Sebastian Röver.

(Royboy5) #8

Oh wow, thank you so much! I am very surprised to see I have placed in this contest. I wish I would have had more time to refine and paint. I will use the 3 months of pro to better establish myself in the community and make myself more familiar w/ the layout and functions of Sketchfab. This is all still so new to me, thanx again!

(Bart) #9

@royboy5 please check your email - I've been trying to get in touch to ship your Cardboard :slight_smile: