Sketchfab Forum

SketchFab not showing my Blender object correctly?

blender
3d
upload

(Sean L Cabahug) #1

Hi there!

I recently signed up for Sketchfab for a school project and to make viewing my 3D model easier and less stressful. However, when I import my .blend file along with all my materials, it doesn't show the way I expected it to.

Here's how I want it to look (note the arrows):

However, this is how it looks on Sketchfab:

I'm fine about the loss of some color, but the incorrectly placed arrows are really bugging me. I believe that the curves used for the arrows are casuing the problem. Is there a way in Blender or Sketchfab that could solve this problem? Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

(Bart) #2

Are those arrows instances along a path? We won't recognise that, so you'll have to 'Apply' any modifiers before exporting your model to Sketchfab.

In terms of color - I notice you're using Cycles and our support for that is quite basic at the moment. You'll have better results when defining your materials in the classic renderer.

(Sean L Cabahug) #3

Thanks for the reply! And yes, the arrows are along a path.

Unfortunately, I've tried most of the modifiers for the path and they do not work. Any other ideas?

(Waleguene) #4

Hi @sean.l.cabahug,

Sketchfab's Blender curves/fonts handling might have some issue in this case.
You should have some Blender related issues/warnings listed in the draft popup when you upload your model:

I opened a ticket on our side to check that and see how we can fix :slight_smile:

We 'll keep you in touch, thanks!

(Lord00120) #6

Otherwise try exporting as an fbx, remember to check apply modifiers, I´ve done this with array/curve modifiers before and never had problems :slight_smile:

(Sean L Cabahug) #7

A small little update:

I've applied a few modifiers to the paths that curve the arrows, and the arrows show the way I want them to. The only problem is, the text doesn't show anymore:

I haven't tried @lord00120 's solution, and I will update about the result I'll get.

As for the issues, here you go:

Found unreferenced image 'sunuvmap.jpg' 
Found unreferenced image 'spacehdri.jpg' 
Found unreferenced image 'moonuvmap.jpg' 
Found unreferenced image 'earthuvmap.jpg'
normals : 
Geometry 'Plane.001_0' has some flipped normals; please check that the shading is correct 
Geometry 'Plane_0' has some flipped normals; please check that the shading is correct
blender : 
Skipping object Text.002 (objects FONT are not exported) 
Skipping object Text.008 (objects FONT are not exported) 
Skipping object Text.005 (objects FONT are not exported) 
Skipping object Text.001 (objects FONT are not exported) 
Skipping object Text.003 (objects FONT are not exported) 
An error occurred while converting curves to meshes 
Skipping object Text (objects FONT are not exported) 
Skipping object Text.007 (objects FONT are not exported) 
Skipping object Curve (objects CURVE are not exported) 
Skipping object Text.004 (objects FONT are not exported) 
Skipping object Curve.001 (objects CURVE are not exported)

From first glance, it looks like some of my objects aren't exporting. That's probably bad.

I'll export to fbx, and I'll see what'll happen.

Thanks everyone for the help!

(Sean L Cabahug) #8

Well, hey! Would ya look at that!

I exported to FBX and managed to get most things as I wanted. The only thing that's missing is textures, which is a bit of a pain, but I'll research a bit and apply what I find to my model.

Again, thanks for the help!

(Sean L Cabahug) #9

Well, the problem that's been making me pull my hair out is finally solved once and for all.

I recently found out that you can apply textures onto the materials directly in the Sketchfab editor. Using the FBX-exported model, I fiddled around with that, and now I have my 3D model ready to show off to everyone.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me! I really appreciate it!

(Lord00120) #10

Good that you found a solution, I mostly do apply all the textures in the sketchfab editor anyways, cos' I like making those little tweaks and such in the editor :wink: But yeah for bigger projects with a lot of textures it gets quite tedious