Sketchfab Progressive Challenge, Part 1: Mythological Creature

(Bart) #1

Today we launch a new type of challenge that draws on the many skills of our community members to take a model from idea to completion in four neat steps. We’re calling it a progressive challenge and here’s how it works:

Round 1: Sculpting

• Sculpt a mythological creature in a neutral pose without any UVs, texturing, or animation. Just the sculpt!
  • Make sure that it is posed in such a way that it can be rigged and animated later in the process.
  • Stay under 3M polys.
  • Upload the model to Sketchfab and tag it #MythCreature-Sculpt . The deadline for this step is Monday, February 25, 2019 (23:59 EST)
  • A winner will be chosen by the judges for Part 1, and that winning entry will be the subject of Part 2.

For full prize and rule details be sure to read the blog post:

(Kyan0s) #2

I can not miss this contest ! See of all the mythological stuff that I have already done! So for my part I chose to sculpt a Kelpie.

(Mariosonic500) #3

What counts as a mythological creature? Do cryptids and dragons count?

(Canary Games) #4

Kelpie was a sea monster?
is from the saga: Geralt the rivia, “The Witcher”
I’m not sure it’s a Kelpie, but now I’m curious.

(Kyan0s) #5

Yes it’s a very weird water creature, half-horse half-fish. :slight_smile: It’s a mythological creature of the scottish folklore. Else I don’t know if it present in the geralt saga, in any case I haven’t saw it in the third opus of the video game series, or in the books. it’s possible the horse name of Siri. I do not remember.

(Canary Games) #6

I did not know it was popular folklore of Scotland !! What a surprise!

It’s true, I’ve only played the 3rd installment, and I just confused the “Kelpie”, with the “Kayran”, which is also not seen in the game, just a wall drawing!

Thanks for the clarification, I want to see that monster, although it is not the only one I want to see in this contest!
Good luck to everyone :+1:t3:

(Kyan0s) #7

Here my entry, but I’ve forgot that I’m limited cause of my account type. 50 Mo so I’ve had to decreased the number of vertex. I hope that still be good to be part of the contest ><’

https://skfb.ly/6GXXU

(Meee) #8

First I have to say that I really like the idea of progressive challenge !

But I have one question : What do you mean by mythological creature ?

“Real” creatures from legends or other only or conceived creatures imagined by us is good too?

(Miekeroth) #9

@Meee Mythological means it needs to have a base in history (not recent, but 500 years ago and older). So the Greek mythology or, for example, the Scotish folklore @kyan0s writes about.
So dig into the folklore of your country and make something amazing. :wink:

(Toomanydemons) #10

I would like to know what the limits are for posing. The second bullet in the rules say to make sure the creature is posed so that it can be animated. Does this mean the pose must be symmetrical, such as A or T pose?

(Kyan0s) #11

@miekeroth There is not a large pool of fantastic creatures in France, in any case that could correspond in the condition of at least 500 years ago and older. Maybe the Guivre (Vouivre or Wyvern / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guivre) which is a creature of my region (Franche-comté). Is the Medieval era could match for the contest ? Not sure I will have time to make it, but if I found time, why not).

Else for the Kelpie, as I said, its a metamorpic fantastic creature from the Scottish folfkore, which lived in the running waters. They often appear with shapes of horses and fishes. They are dangerous because they forced humans to ride them to next they lead them in water in order to drown them or devour them. A very kind creature lol ><’. By cons I could not find a date of appariton in their mythology.

(Miekeroth) #12

@kyan0s Midieval era is absolutely a match. The Kelpie is perfect :wink: And regarding my encouragement to search in folklore of ones own country: It could make it easier for people who have a hard time finding a subject. That’s why I suggested it. It’s more than ok to use folklore of other countries.

(Snifel) #13

Can we decimate the sculpt to get the polycount? Asking to be sure.

(Nebulousflynn) #14

Do cryptids and dragons count?

Absolutely!

(Nebulousflynn) #15

Does this mean the pose must be symmetrical, such as A or T pose?

Yes that makes sense, it will depend a bit on your subject choice - but A or T pose is great for a humanoid, a similar neutral pose for a multi-legged creature (e.g. horse). I guess a neutral pose for something snakelike would be laid out straight and flat :laughing:

Essentially, we don’t know what final pose an animator will choose in a later stage so this will help avoid any weird warping in baked textures and geometry.

(Nebulousflynn) #16

Yes of course, but don’t bake anything to a normal map etc. - this part of the challenge is all about the geometry; retopology + texture baking will happen in Part 2.

(Meee) #17

Ok, thanks for the answer!

(Meee) #18

After some researches of mythological creatures that are at least a bit from my country (I found only two…), I’ve decided that I will make a Tatzelwurm, a creature made by mixing together a cat, a snake and a lizard.

(Toomanydemons) #19

I’m going to be sculpting Arachne, in her half-spider form. Her Upper half will be a human female, and her lower half is that of a giant spider.

(Toomanydemons) #20

The lore directly doesn’t mention Arachne being half-spider and half-human. But there are quite a few renditions of her in that form. I like the idea because it would be really cool and fun to sculpt such a creature, but also because it would be challenging and skillful to retopo, rig and animate (and it would be pretty awesome to see as well).

Because there are many interpretations of Arachne (some where she only has a human face and a spider’s body, some where she is just a giant spider; but mostly she appears as half-spider half-woman), I have to ask, will this critter suffice? I hope she fits the bill for a mythological creature?