Somewhere In Wonderland - 1st time submission

(Someonetakephotoshopawayfromme) #1

Hi guys! So I'd like to share my recent work called "Somewhere In Wonderland" which is based on a color pencil drawings by a friend of mine. It's a practice jab for Sketchfab. Mainly doing this to improve my hand-painting skill. 51043 tris. All texture are hand-painted. Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush and Substance Painter.

The original concept are by Dapur Mikuah here:
https://www.facebook.com/818863534877551/photos/a.829098747187363.1073741828.818863534877551/840066819423889/?type=3&theater

And here is the Sketchfab link:

Somewhere In Wonderland by someonetakephotoshopawayfromme on Sketchfab

And some snips for previews!

Enjoy and feel free to tell me what you think!

(Shaderbytes) #2

Hi there , love the hand painted textures :wink:

The scene does seem to lack depth though and is rather flat , I understand its a cell shaded look , but there is just far to little shadowing for my liking. A little baked AO or shadows could add the depth Im referring to.

Congrats on your first submission.

(Someonetakephotoshopawayfromme) #3

Hi shaderbytes! Yeah, when I was painting these, I was kinda afraid to push out the AO/contrast wondering if it'll ruin the "2D-ish" look, I should have been bolder and push it more anyway. So I baked more lightmaps and redid some of the maps like how you advised and they did look better while still retaining the hand-painted looks. I think I will add more lighting play to the maps. Thanks for the input! :smile:

(Shaderbytes) #4

Nicely done :smile: The depth is evident now between the plants in front and behind , exactly what was needed..

(Michał Orzechowski) #5

It's looking great!
It would be really cool if You would animate the environment a little bit :wink: