Sound not working in Chrome MacOS

(Panoluma) #1

I just added a sound file to this model and it plays back fine in Safari or Firefox in MacOS 12.12.6 (Sierra), but doesn’t seem to play inside Chrome Version 69.0.3497.100.

I tried dumping the browser cache and reloading the page, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks! -Chad

(Panoluma) #2

Perhaps I am running an experimental build of Chrome? I think I’m just using the latest stable release:

(Paulchambers3d) #4

Hmm. Running MacOS here, Chrome Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) also on Sierra and it works for me. We’ll look into it but i"m not sure what the issue you’re having is.

I know it sounds like a simple (stupid?) suggestion but sure you’re not muting the sound from a previous play.

(Panoluma) #5

Hmm, no muting here…tried rebooting the computer as well (MacBook Pro Retina (2012), if that helps).

It doesn’t seem to play audio in iOS Chrome either, at least when loading the mobile version of the webpage. If I force it to load the desktop version of the page, it plays audio.

I also tried another random model with sound and still no audio playback:

Is there anything else I should try to clear out the cobwebs in Chrome if there are any? Reloading a page should force it to pull new data from Sketchfab, not locally cached data, right?

(Paul Sketch) #6

By muting, there is mutliple separate things possible

Can you test/confirm each one of these.

For ios it’s much more complicated:

• it doesn’t support 3D sound
  • it doesn’t support sound mix
    So it can only play “ambient sound”

(Panoluma) #7

Ok, I tried some things out.

There is no 3D sound, no sound mix…just one plain vanilla mp3 file playing on a loop.

The issue is with Chrome, so the first item is N/A.
The site (Sketchfab) is not muted in Chrome.
All sites are allowed to play audio in Chrome.
I tried muting/unmuting another site (YouTube) which was successful.

For iOS, it works fine in Safari and the Sketchfab app, but in Chrome both the mobile version and desktop version of the web page are extremely intermittent for sound (ie. I’ve heard it only once or twice, most of the time NO SOUND.

I hope that helps a bit. I’ll see if I can try it out on a few other boxes here as well.

(Panoluma) #8

Also not working on an iMac 12,2 (Mid-2011) in Sierra 10.12.6 with current version of Chrome…