#SoundWIP2017 - Rock Giant

(Nathanwondrak) #1

This it's pretty ironic, earlier I was bummed out about missing the .abc files contest (which I still would like to finish when I get a better computer). So I decided to move onto the next newly added thing... SOUND! Yet all awhile working on my Rock Giant this contest was simultaneously going on, and I had no clue. Well I have a ton of progress reports to catch up on, but I just want to end my first post by saying Thank you Sketchfab devs for adding sound support, it is something I have been always hoping for. By the way is there any chance you guys might be adopting AR with apples new ARKit?

(Nathanwondrak) #2

This is my terrible sketch that started things off, looking beyond this awkwardness I was still attached to the concept of a walking mountain so decided to build it in 3D.

(Nathanwondrak) #3

Originally I intended to go for a photo realistic style and as cool as I imagined that turning out my craptop, I mean laptop wasn't having any off that high Polly stuff. Still attached to the original visions I tried painting my low polly modal in that style with Substance painter and that went just as bad.

w by NWNWN on Sketchfab

However there is something cool about this, the background hdri I took my self at my home town, and yes those are smoke stacks on the beach.

(Nathanwondrak) #4

I was considering giving up on the idea at this point, and began do dilly dally with questionable techniques like seeing if baking a bevel into the normals could ever look as good as the original. In my experience they don't, but I did start getting attached to beveling and baking. Painting on top just came naturally since I paint 2D a lot.

(Feyfolken Km) #5

Looks beauty.

(Nathanwondrak) #6

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

(Nathanwondrak) #7

Here's my latest version, I still need to add some sound effects in there but that is generally that idea. I made him downloadable if you guys want to check out the grit of the project. I will also post more work in progress shots later too.

(Nathanwondrak) #8

Also if you guys have any thoughts or critiques, I would really appreciate it, thanks!

(Chaitanyak) #9

bevel bakes look great.. i need to try this!

Deadline extended! Feel free to keep adding on, if you'd like!

(Nathanwondrak) #11

Thanks man! Also I don't know if you tried it but Blenders sketchfab add on but itis awesome. I noticed little gitches like if bevel modifier aren't applied they can leave mesh gaps (like on my test). Also anything that has shape keys gets turned soft despite any types of flattening the surface or sharpening the edges, but for how fast and easy it is to exports the mesh, animations, and textures, it's totally worth it.

(Nathanwondrak) #12

Alright, so I've been playing around with sound placement for a good while thinking they would be published that way, however all the sounds once again have become stuck to the center. Down the road I might want to touch it up, but luckily my scene is centered so it close enough to the original for me to consider it done. I think mine is ready for submission, unless anyone sees anything they I need to tweek,If anyone has any thoughts or critiques, please let me know. Thanks Guys!

(Rlockett) #13

hehe, this model makes me smile, love the artwork style! his facial expression makes this

(Nathanwondrak) #14

Hehe, thanks man! I had a ton of fun with this and so I am working on some more. By the way awesome gallery scene, and that's even more amazing that you did the art being presented!

(Rlockett) #15

Thanks man! You should do more with your rock guy. Yeah lot of hours work in the gallery, about 1000 hour drawing time, i did have some loose plans to unwrap this whole room, pring the uv sheets and "bake" by hand, actual pencil shading etc. Would take forever thoough!

(Nathanwondrak) #16

That's impressive, I think you went the right route with your presentation, it looks very professional that way!