Spirited Away Train Scene

(Fongoose) #1

Here's a scene from my favourite movie of all time. For me, this is definitely the most memorable scene. It's going to be a bit of a challenge but I can't wait to get started. :smiley:

(Bart) #2

Welcome on board, and great choice of movie! I've just added one month of free Sketchfab PRO to your account. You will now be able to upload larger models, use more annotations and more - here's more information.

Also, don't forget to subscribe to the contest news thread and to read the Frequently Asked Questions!

We'll be in touch :slight_smile:

This is a beautiful scene, will it be animated? Have fun!

(Sazem) #4

Nice pick! I was thinking yesterday what movie I should pick up and finally I had idea as well to make spirited away. Google search and that same train image came. I thought thats perfect for my skills and for to competision. Lets see if I will think another. :wink:

I was thinking lord of the rings, many scenes but all of them are way to hard for my skills.

Anyway good luck with your entry :slight_smile:

(Fongoose) #5

Hi, yes it will be animated :slight_smile:

(Fongoose) #6

I had a look at the scene and put a quick mood board together. I'll only be modelling the interior of the train and the outside environment as the ideal viewing point will be from inside the carriage. I doubt i'll have time to model any characters but I might include a cheeky no-face ^_^

(Dark Minaz) #7

what you could do is show something like a "behind the scenes" thing. As if it was made as a filmed movie.

So the black = train
and then 2 motion tracks with a texture so it looks like it's moving :slight_smile:

loved that movie so i am really looking forward to going on a train ride with chihiro and no face

(Fongoose) #8

Just a quick update. I've started the blockout and I'm currently working out the measurements of the train. I may need to tweak a few things because there are a couple of inconsistencies in the train (in the actual movie scene). The main one being that the train appears much longer from the outside compared to the interior shot. I may need to reduce the number of windows to compensate for this. There are also different versions of the door in each shot so I need to decide which one to use.

I'm using unity to get a better feel for the scale and layout of the train.

You can see the difference between the exterior and interior length by comparing the space between the doors and how many people you could fit on the seats. Also note how the windows almost seem rectangular in the interior shot (Even considering foreshortening they still seem rectangular).

I also noticed how the ring handles are casting an impossible shadow. See how they are not actually in the light coming through the window.

This shouldn't cause any major issues though :slight_smile: I'll just have to make some small adjustments. I'm going to start a new blockout which should be a lot better now I've learned more about the train design.

(Fongoose) #9

Blockout update. I'll probably start modelling the final now and make any further tweaks as I go. I need to put a quick plan/ schedule together first though.

(Fongoose) #10

Started creating the final key elements. I'll then UV them and then start duplicating and rebuilding the scene. I'll optimise the meshes later in the project to make it easier to edit.

I also planned out the project and it looks like I should get done on time. : )

(Mhazani) #11

That's a great looking moodboard! Mind if I ask how you came up with it? Is there a convenient Moodboarding tool or is it just photoshop?:slight_smile:

(Fongoose) #12

Thanks! Just photoshop : )

(Fongoose) #13

Interior UV mapping is done. I've made some placeholder textures along with labels. This makes it much easier to see the workload. I've tried to atlas as many things as I can into the same texture. For example all of the trims are in one texture (see below). I might atlas all the other textures together at the end of the project but there's a lot of tileables so I'll have to manage that sensibly. There's a bit more optimising to be done but I'll do that later as I don't want accidentally mess up my UVs and instances. Looking forward to painting the textures. I'm also thinking about how I'm going to tackle the exterior (Dont worry, I haven't forgotten). :wink:

(Penny) #14

Can't wait to see this completed! :smiley:

Great WIPs, can't wait to see where this goes!

(Fongoose) #16

Blocked some rough colours in to get a feel for the scene. Need to do some more modelling before I go any further with the textures. I think I'll end up going with a 'Windwaker' style texture for the water.

(Fongoose) #17

Here's the theme from the train scene. Such a beaut!

(Angieteickner) #18

Wow great project :slight_smile:

The thing with the placeholder-texture is such a neat idea!

Cant wait for more progress :grin:

(Fongoose) #19

Made some small tweaks tonight. Going to re-model the door and windows tomorrow. I'll give them bespoke textures instead of using the 'trim' texture sheet. Need to make them look a bit less boxy. Also need to model the shelf bracket properly. Started experimenting with textures too. Can't wait to crack on! Wish I had more time!

(Fongoose) #20

Done a bit more texturing and model tweaking. I made a lot of small adjustments to the model. The window and door frames now have bespoke textures. I'm quite excited about adding decals but I've got a fair bit of work to do before I get to that stage. I think it's the subtle touches that will make the difference in VR.

You will see a lot of horrible seams in my WIPs because I haven't added UV2 to the model yet. I'll do this when I'm happy with the model.

All the materials are basic 'Diffuse' and I'm not planning on using any reflective shaders but I'll see what happens later down the line. I might use a subtle blurred reflection to the floor as it's such a large surface area but I generally prefer painting the surface properties into the diffuse maps.

I'll be adding little posters to the frames on either side of the door (Like the below shot from the movie). I think the ones on the other side of the kart are actually windows. I'll probably do my own poster design but if anyone can read Japanese then please feel free to translate the posters :slight_smile:

I've got a lot of texturing to do but I've been thinking about taking a quick break from the train and start modelling some luggage so maybe I'll do that. :slight_smile: