Star Wars Contest 2015 category: news & fun!

(Bart) #1

This forum is for documenting the Work in Progress for the Star Wars: Famous scenes Contest entries. Prizes include an Oculus Rift, Sphero BB-8 remote-controlled droids and more. Enjoy!

To recap the rules:

• Pick one of the selected scenes (see the contest announcement).
  • Work with animation or annotations.
  • Create a Work in Progress thread on this forum to document your work.
  • Tag your final entry with #starwars-2015-still or #starwars-2015-animation.
  • Have fun!

Star Wars Contest: Yoda vs Dooku (annotated scene)
Star Wars Contest :Yoda vs Dooku
Death Star Millennium Falcon Core Dump Run (DJS entry)
Order 66 "Annotated"
Star Wars Challenge
SW Contest 2015: Death Star Trench Run (WIP)
Order 66 - Yoda is in danger!
Star Wars Contest 2015: It's A Trap, Annotated
“I am you father” - Annotated scene
"It's a trap!" scene with Admiril Ackbar and battle of endor
Episode II - Attack of the Clones - Yoda vs Dooku Annotations
Star Wars Contest 2015
Episode II - Attack of the Clones: Yoda vs Dooku (animated) by GEM
Can i still join?
Noooooo! Annoted scene - Voxel (finished...?)
Star Wars Contest 2015: Duel on Mustafar - Reberson and Vannuchi Co-Work
Star Wars Contest: “I am you father” - Annotated scene
Admiral Ackbar “It’s a trap!” ~
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi VI - Battle of Endor
Death Star Millennium Falcon Core Dump Run
Star Wars Contest 2015: Bounty Hunter Chase on Coruscant - Animation Final
Robin Dao: Death Star 2 Core run
Star Wars Contest 2015: Attack of the Clones: Yoda vs Dooku Animation
Star Wars Contest 2015: `m Ur Father scene
That was close! Return of Jedi Death Star!
(Dark Minaz) #2

Hmm so many choices .. but my favorites are all missing :frowning:
the fight against darth maul
anakin going batshit insane and killing all the jedi
deathstar destroying a planet

hmm not sure if i find the time but the death or jar jar or the order 66 sound interesting.

(Bart) #3

The death of Jar Jar is high on my wishlist :smile:

(Bart) #4

News flash: Chris Taylor, Deputy Editor at Mashable, has joined our judging team!

(Jamesculley) #5

Wow Excellent.. I am looking forward to having a go at this! Will select and start my thread soon!

(Bart) #6

Star Wars Update

How's everybody doing? I thought it was time for a quick update on how the contest is progressing. I've pinged everyone personally this time, but from now on the updates will appear in this topic. Please 'watch' this topic to receive a notification when there's news. Just scroll to the bottom of the thread, click the notifications option and change it to 'Watching'. That's all!

Time: are you on track?

We have about 3.5 weeks left before the deadline. How's your work progressing? Keep an eye on the calendar :smile:

Publicity

We've been lucky in getting a lot of good coverage for our contest! Here's a list of places where we've been mentioned so far:

And more, the PR is working well!

50 55 WIP Threads

As a result of all this great publicity we now have a whopping 50 55 WIP threads on the forum! Conversations are buzzing and it looks like everyone is having a great time. Check out each other's work and give them good feedback :smile:

About your PRO accounts

Some of you have asked what will happen with the models you upload to your PRO account. It's simple: if you upload a large model, use more than five annotations or make a private - all those features will remain when your free PRO account ends! So make the most of it while it lasts!

Of course, you can always earn more free Sketchfab PRO time with our referral program: invite five friends and you'll get a year of Sketchfab PRO for free.

That's it!

That's all for now, I'll be seeing you again shortly!

Star Wars Lightsaber MACE WINDU and KI - ADI MUNDI
Star Wars Contest 2015: Duel on Mustafar Animation
Star Wars Contest 2015: Pod Race (Animated JC3D)
Star Wars contest 2015: "I am your father Nooooooooo"(Annotated)
Star Wars Contest: Duel in Mustafar
"The death of Jar Jar Binks" animated scene by Nikolay Tsys
"There's always a bigger fish" Planet Core Annotated scene
Episode II - Attack of the Clones: Yoda vs Dooku /Annotations /
It's a trap, everyone loves a good space battle
Star Wars Contest 2015: Episode V: Carbonite Freeze (Annotated)
Star Wars Contest 2015 : Mos Eisely
Star Wars Contest - I am your Father Annotated Scene
I'm your father, Annotated scene by Xavi H
Star Wars 2015 WIP: Death Star Trench Run Animation
Star Wars Contest 2015: Master vs Apprentice (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith) ANIMATED
Star Wars Contest 2015: Master vs Apprentice (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith) ANIMATED
Star Wars Contest (Still) : Pod Race (WIP)
Journey through the planet core - Annotated scene
Journey through the planet core - Annotated scene
Star Wars Contest 2015: IT'S A TRAP! Annotated Scene
Yoda Vs Dooku animation - Mieke Roth
Star Wars Contest 2015: “I am you father”(Annotated scenes)
Star Wars Contest 2015: Journey through the planet core - annotated scene
Star Wars Contest: Windu vs Emperor
Star Wars Contest 2015: Yoda VS Dooku Duel Animation
Star Wars Contest: Pod Race [Animated]
SWC2015: Lando's Death Star Escape Animation WIP Thread
Death Star Trench Run!
SW Contest 15: 'Deliverance of Binks' Jar Jar's death - Final
"3D princess Leia, the first hologram!" - finished
Episode IV: A New Hope. Trench Run animation
Star Wars Contest: Order 66; Aayla Secura
Star Wars Contest 2015: “I am you father” (Annotated)
Star Wars Contest: Death Star Trench Run by sergi
Trench Run (OBVIOUSLY)
Star Wars Contest 2015 : 3D princess Leia, the first hologram! (finished)
LightSaber Fights: Windu-Emperor - Annotated Scene
Star Wars Contest: It's a trap! - Annotated Final
Star Wars Contest: Annotated Trench Run
3D Holograms ? When will they be real?
Star Wars Contest: Death Star Trench Roller Coaster (Finished)
4 Troopers and an Order to route 66, Revenge of the Sith, Annotated
Star Wars contest 2015 WIP: Yoda vs Dooku Animation
Star Wars Contest 2015: The Order 66 (Annotated scene)
Trench Run in ultra lowpoly
Order 66, commander Cody! (annotated scene)
Star Wars contest 2015: (Yet another) Pod race scene
Star Wars contest 2015: (Yet another) Pod race scene
Yoda Vs Dooku Annotated Still - 3D Artist Will Ehrendreich
Han Solo Carbon Freezing
Star Wars Contest 2015 - Coruscant Bounty Hunter Chase
Carbon Freeze - Jai Robinson
Star Wars Contest 2015: Death Star Trench Run, detailed scene for annotation
(Bart) #7

I just came across this tutorial: Learn how to shoot your Clone Trooper, by Nicolas Brunet and thought it might provide some nice inspiration :smile:

(Bart) #8

And for some fun: 'The Daily Life Of Darth Vader Is My Latest 365-Day Photo Project'

(Bart) #9

Here's a nice low poly R2D2 timelapse:

(Bart) #10

Star Wars Update #2

Sphero is now an official sponsor!

Look what arrived at our New York office last week! We talked to Sphero about our contest and they've decided to become an official sponsor - they have added another awesome BB8-8 remote controlled droid to the prize pot. Thanks so much guys!!

The Grand prize is now:

• an Oculus Rift (to be sent as soon as it becomes available)
  • a BB8-8 remote controlled droid
  • a Sketchfab Hoodie
  • 12 Months of Sketchfab PRO

68 participants

New people are still joining every day. Welcome, young padawans!

Can I use both annotations and animation?

I've heard this question a few times. The answer, unfortunately, is no: at this time we have disabled annotations for animated models. The main reason for this is that we're unsure of the UX (user experience) - how to get animation and annotations to work together well. We have some ideas, of course, but they're not available in the Animation Beta yet.

New WIP forum

One thing that I really like about this contest are the WIP threads - I start my day by going through all of them and I just love seeing how everyone is progressing.

This made me realise that WIPs can play an important role in the Sketchfab community - both to help artists get feedback on their work and for people who are looking to learn how to become a better 3D modeler.

So as a cool spin-off of this contest, I've opened a new dedicated WIP forum. Yeah, I don't expect you to post anything there until this contest is over :wink:

Time: are you on track?

There are 16 days left! Will you make it? Wake up :smile:

(Jamesculley) #11

Excellent that Sphero have jumped on board! Loving the contest :smile:

(Bart) #12

Star Wars Contest badges awarded!

I just awarded an exclusive Star Wars 2015 Contest badge to everyone who has posted a WIP thread on the contest forum. Everyone will also receive a notification message of this.

You'll see the badges on user cards (click on a username to see), and in the forum badge gallery. Click on the Star Wars badge to see all contestants and their threads.

All new contestants will also automatically receive one. Enjoy :smile:

(Bart) #13

Star Wars update #3

Howdy! I hope your Thanksgiving day was a great as it was for these guys below :wink: (Well, not for Jar Jar)

We're back with the third contest update. There are some important and useful notes here, so please read on!

One week left!

The pressure is rising - you have eight days left to prepare your entry!

How to prepare your final entry

As the contest rules state, you have to tag your final entry with either #starwars-2015-still or #starwars-2015-animation - depending on the type of entry you create. We already see a lot of models that have there tags, but that are still WIPs.

Don't use the 'final' tags on WIP work as it will confuse the voting process. Check your WIPmodels and update their tag to #starwars-2015-wip to clarify the distinction. I will start hunting for improper use of the tags in a few days :smile:

74 participants

People are still joining the contest (that's brave, at this time!). Check out the full list on the Star Wars 2015 Contest bage page:

https://forum.sketchfab.com/badges/101/star-wars-2015-contest

Important animation update

Are you in our Animation Beta group? Then you'll have received my update yesterday about us getting ready for the public release early next week. The preparations for this release will temporarily disable animation functionality, but it should be back Real Soon. If we face delays and this causes issues for the contest, we'll make sure to extend the deadline, no worries!

New tutorial: creating annotations like a boss

We have a few annotation tricks up our sleeves that you may not be aware about, like setting individual camera pivot points for each annotation. They will definitely help you get the most out of your scene! Check out this tutorial that @james created:

That's it for me!

Have fun, everyone! And good luck with the last bits of work.

Episode II - Attack of the Clones - Yoda vs Dooku Annotations
Order 66, commander Cody! (annotated scene)
(Bart) #14

Quick update: we're in the middle of releasing Animation for everyone, and uploading of animations has been frozen.. All our Beta users were informed of this but I wanted to assure you that we'll make sure everyone will be able to properly upload his entry for the contest. Should we run into any delays, we'll extend the contest deadline!

(Bart) #15

Hey all, you can now upload animations again. Good luck!

(Bart) #16

Star Wars Contest Update #4

Hey all,

as our deadline is drawing nearer I wanted to make sure you have all your ducks in a row, properly prepared your entry and all that.

Animation is available again

Our preparations for the public Animation release are now done - you can continue uploading your animated entries

How to prepare your final entry

Let me just repeat this to be sure:

As the contest rules state, you have to tag your final entry with either #starwars-2015-still or #starwars-2015-animation - depending on the type of entry you create. We already see a lot of models that have there tags, but that are still WIPs.

Don't use the 'final' tags on WIP work as it will confuse the voting process. Check your WIPmodels and update their tag to #starwars-2015-wip to clarify the distinction.

Contest deadline

The official submission deadline is this Thursday, midnight, New York time (so that's Thursday included, just to be clear).

Good luck with the last bits of work!

I know you're probably stressing out right now, but it's almost time to party :smile:

(Bart) #17

Mass pinging all our contestants - please read the Contest Update #4 above. Are you ready?

@xbodya13 @ingrid30 @jonny5isalive @gy_zero @lightnheat @csutton @nathanmlange @gabry @technoir @drobbins13 @gem @elbriga @efralopez @rebersonalves @joff3d @jonatannunes @philip3d @bloecher @diablito @deca @fr_koch @robindao @snoringeagle @athielian @4lstroM @7Ossamtaz @alexpaiva_com @mark_bansak_iversen @Tolst @andersdt @connorwilding @owleye @amatrelan @conviley @TRANCyeeeeeee @KrzysztofZwolinski @jpssart @kirilladamenya @siremmanuelintong1st @stijn_vercruysse @armandolira @earthen @DanielAndersson @maxweiltec @plasmidgene @vaztor @GaryPhelps @zhixson @nirusu @herask @swevenzre @macridil @marcclintdion @stosh @sergi @hasanhhamad @jamesculley @bradandersonjr @jochanan @xavioromi @zansyabana @marcoloreto @danielgarza @tylaread @dark_minaz @pasto @miguelangelo2k @miekeroth @BrandonNobbs @jairobinson @willehrendreich @ntdw @romainrevert @lizedwards @kyan0s @levier @jason_ivens

(Zansyabana) #18

Yeah thanks @bartv! I can finally test my animation upload and it works great! Just a little bit more polishments and I'll be ready! :grin:

(Bart) #19

Glad to hear it @zansyabana!

(Dark Minaz) #20

so 36h left. Time to party .. eh finish work then party
You guys are all invited to my victory party @bob's house. We got beer and meat.