Star Wars contest 2015 WIP: Yoda vs Dooku Animation

(Jason Ivens) #1

Hey Guys,
We are back again for another contest how exciting :smile: I hope I can finish my work this time round.
I sadly don't have any work to show yet, this first post is simply to let you know I'm in and that I will be doing the epic fight between Yoda and Dooku as a animation.
I don't yet have access to the animation beta but I'm sure that will change soon enough.
Good luck guys, I can't wait to see what you all are capable of coming up with :smile:

(Bart) #2

You're the first one to enter, cool! 👍I see that you already have a pro account, so you're all set :smile: Have fun!

(Dmcinnis) #3

can i join you skyman dudes

(Jason Ivens) #4

Hi dmcinnis,
Oh course you can join the contest instructions can be found here:
http://blog.sketchfab.com/post/132595498989/star-wars-contest-famous-scenes

I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing your work :smile:

(Marcin Cecot) #5

Haha! Good luck again mate! :smile:
I will pass this time, have a hell lot of work right now.

(Bart) #6

Too bad! But you can still sit back and enjoy the WIP threads :smile:

(Miekeroth) #7

Cool! I just see this one now :wink:. I bet a lot of people will take this scene. Good comparison, me thinks!

(Jason Ivens) #8

Hi everyone,
Its been awhile sense my last post so I thought I would get this out to you, I don't have any modeling to show, but I can show you my custom skeleton and rigging system.
I am not sure how much time I would get to work on this so I thought I would do the animation first and bring in the models when I have time to make them.

(Bart) #9

Ah you're going for some serious animation! Awesome.

(Jason Ivens) #10

@bartv I'm hoping to make it as real as I can, although time is always a factor :smile:
I have blocked out the first 50 secs of my animation, but as I don't have any models yet you can only see the skeleton and controls in Max. When I import in to Sketchfab my 50 sec animation drops to around 5 secs and I cant see the skeleton :frowning:
Any ideas on how I can fix this?

(Jason Ivens) #11

The animation length was just a FPS issue before exporting lol
I would still like to be able to show the skeleton or bones in animation, if that possible in Sketchfab?

(Dark Minaz) #12

can't you just add little cubes to the bones and upload it like that? would be my first try to get it online if it won't show skeleton by default.
So we see the cubes animated in the end.

(Jason Ivens) #13

haha I didn't even think about trying that, thanks I'll try that after my next upload attempt has finished :smile:

(Jason Ivens) #14

Thanks to @dark_minaz input I have been able to show what I have animated so far, I should stress that this is just the blocking out stage, I still need to work on it for quite a while until it will be at a stage that I'm happy with. But before that I will try to do the entire 165 secs of the fight in a blocking out stage.

Any way here is my reference material:

and here is my work:

WIP Yoda vs Dooku Blocking First 50 Secs by jason_ivens on Sketchfab

(Jason Ivens) #15

@bartv embedding my scene is not working. I have copied the URL and the shared link but nether one has worked.
Please help me out, thanks 😄

(Marcclintdion) #16

The URL address link to a model must be pasted on it's own line. Once you do that, the embedding happens automatically. :smile:

(Jason Ivens) #17

Thank you, worked like a charm :smile:

(Jason Ivens) #18

Hey everyone,
Here is the second part to my animation, again just a blocking pass but hopefully it conveys what it needs to :smile:
I have had a lot of minor issues going from a working animation in Max to Sketchfab, but so far they have all been fixable with minor changes.

WIP Yoda vs Dooku Blocking Part B by jason_ivens on Sketchfab

All feedback welcome and it will help me to improve my work. As I am still learning while I making this :smile:

(Dark Minaz) #19

looks great so far, but isn't yoda like way more compressed?
Just wondering how you'd combine the "mini" body with a bigger rig in the long run.

there are a few seconds that kinda take to long, but maybe that is jut because there are no things around it yet to focus on. (around 28-29:ish) since there is no sound in sketchfab the "talking parts" would have to be text boxes or something like that.

Just my thoughts on things you might need to look out for later. But i can see the fight already even without the models, so the animation seems to be blocked out quite nicely so far. A few fine tunes here and there, but that will probably be with the model on it.

(Jason Ivens) #20

Thanks for the feedback :smile:
I'm glade you can see it coming along, it's just a petty that I hardly have any time to work on it :unamused: oh well having a kid, studying full time and moving house will do that I guess lol.
Speech bubbles are a good idea, I will have to play around with with Max and Sketchfab to see what I can get to work.