Sketchfab Forum

Star Wars Contest: It's a trap! - Annotated Final

(Adam Beamish) #1

Well I have been meaning to sculpt Admiral Ackbar and now is a perfect time to do it. I will hopefully sculpt a complete body version of him sitting in his chair. I will be using 123D Sculpt+ on the iPad to start off with and then use Lightwave, Mudbox and Zbrush for detailing and cleanup.

So far I have started on Ackbar's head. There is about a couple of hours work put into this so far. It would probably go quicker in Zbrush or Mudbox but I can just pick up the iPad and get straight into working on it.

(Bart) #2

Jay! It's great to see you here Adam :smile: I have added a Sketchfab PRO licence to your account until December 11 so you can upload larger files and use up to 20 annotations. Have fun!

(Adam Beamish) #3

Thanks Bart!

Just a small update. Working on the face detail a bit more. Once the head is finished in 123D Sculpt+ I will then move onto the hands and see how it comes together in Zbrush.

(Bart) #4

I've just posted a contest update. Enjoy!

(Adam Beamish) #5

Another small update. Still finding more reference photographs to get his head right. A few changes to the shape and detail. I will take a break from the head for now and work on his hands.

(Bart) #6

It looks fantastic. Is it still all done in 123D Sculpt+ so far?

(Adam Beamish) #7

Thanks Bart! Yes everything so far is created in 123D Sculpt+. :smile:

(Adam Beamish) #9

Admiral Ackbar W.I.P. 01 by Adam Beamish on Sketchfab

Here is his head so far in 123D Sculpt+. Now working on his hands and then a bit of tweaking of the head again in 123D Sculpt+ and finally adding detail in Zbrush.

(Darkwriter00) #10

This is looking really good so far! Wow, the details on this! All the best on getting the rest of him done.

(Adam Beamish) #11

Thanks darkwriter00! :smile:

(Adam Beamish) #12

A W.I.P. of Ackbars hand created in 123D Sculpt+. Its hard to find the right reference material for the rear of his arm as there have been many different versions of his arm sculpted for toys and prop replicas. I'm trying to get as close as I can to the actual puppet/costume that was used for Jedi. Hopefully I can start painting his head and hands by the end of the week and then onto his body and chair next week.

Admiral Ackbar Hand W.I.P. by Adam Beamish on Sketchfab

(Adam Beamish) #13

I have started on the body for Ackbar in 123D Sculpt+. I am going to see how much I can sculpt on the iPad before I have to transfer to Zbrush. The body proportions are a little bit out at the moment as you can only have one model in the sculpting scene at a time which makes it difficult to adjust parts to fit each other. So here is a W.I.P. image of the sculpting of his torso and a rough composition of the sculpted parts so far quickly edited in Artstudio app.

(Philip3d) #14

I hope to see this finished! Looks promising.

The silhouette of the cloak in your version is getting a bit lost. In order to simplify the silhouette, maybe bring in the sides of the upper layer of the vest. As well, the legs and vest could be a bit longer.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/c/c8/AckbarFull-SWE.png/revision/latest?cb=20120108175436

(Adam Beamish) #15

Thanks Philip! Yes his body still needs a lot of work. Hopefully I can get his body complete in the next couple of days! :0)

(Adam Beamish) #16

I'm still working on the other parts of Ackbar. Here is his latest head painted in 123D Sculpt+. Hopefully a more completed head, hands and body to show tomorrow.

Admiral Ackbar Head Paint Test by Adam Beamish on Sketchfab

(Adam Beamish) #17

Mon Calamari cruiser bridge test model. It needs a little bit more work but the focus will be on Admiral Ackbar. Created in Lightwave.

Mon Calamari Cruiser Bridge Test by Adam Beamish on Sketchfab

(Adam Beamish) #18

Here is an update on the hand that is painted in 123D Sculpt+.

Admiral Ackbar Hand by Adam Beamish on Sketchfab

(Adam Beamish) #19

He still needs a lot of editing but here he is so far. Time is short but hopefully his whole body will be complete in time. All of his body sculpted and painted in 123D Sculpt+ on the iPad and composited and edited for upload in Zbrush. His chair is taking a lot of time at the moment so it may not be complete.

Admiral Ackbar Body Test by Adam Beamish on Sketchfab

(Adam Beamish) #20

Finished sculpting and painting in 123D Sculpt+. Belt and rank badge created in 123D Design on the iPad. Edited in Zbrush for export. I will be adding extra small details in Zbrush but time is running out. I will work on the chair today. :smile:

Admiral Ackbar WIP 2 by Adam Beamish on Sketchfab

(Bart) #21

Very cool, I hope you'll have enough time to finish it!