Sketchfab Forum

Stop Motion with animation

animation

(Alexlegg) #1

Does Stop Motion work with animated objects?

As I test I have animated some basic shapes up and down in MODO, exported them as FBX and uploaded in zip file with the the sketchfab.timeframe file.

The objects load, and it cycles through them correctly, they are just not animated up and down!

So is it possible to animate an object and have it Stop Motion too?

My end goal is to have an animated product, that cycles through a range of colours.

Ideally I want to have something like the configurator set up, but that might be too advanced for me right now!
https://labs.sketchfab.com/experiments/configurator/

Thanks,

Alex

(Mrchlblng) #2

@alexlegg I'm afraid stop motion doesn't work with animated object. The feature is supposed to allow quick and dirty animation so this is mostly targeted for people not using/knowing a software supporting animation. The feature first remove any animation from loaded models.
That being said, as you know how to use Modo, you should be able to get the result you want by using visibility curves and exporting them in the FBX. Timeframe basically mimics what we do for FBX visibility and set the scale to ~0 when object should be hidden.

(Alexlegg) #3

Ahh, thank you.

I think I've found a dirty work around, I'll see if I can get it working.

I don't think I've come across visibility curves before, thanks for that. I'll do some research.

I had assumed this model here was done with Stop Motion, but maybe that used FBX visibility too?

(Mrchlblng) #4

Yep, this is indeed a "direct" FBX export (you can usually tell this when the animation name is "Take 001" :))

(Alexlegg) #5

I've been doing some research and tests on MODO and FBX visibility, but no luck so far.

"you should be able to get the result you want by using visibility curves" I'm assuming this is the 'visible' option available in the animation tab in the graph editor?

"and exporting them in the FBX" how do I do this? what settings affect visibility? (Nothing I have tried so far has worked)

"Timeframe basically mimics what we do for FBX visibility and set the scale to ~0 when object should be hidden." Do I still need to use Timeframe if I animate the visibility?

I'm assuming I get the models set up in MODO and animate the visibility, then the FBX export takes care of the rest of it for me, so no need for Stop Motion and timeframe.

Any info you can send my way, I'd be grateful.

(Mrchlblng) #6

Indeed, timeframe should be of no use for you.

I'm afraid I'm not a modo user at all but I suspect that modo should allow you to either animate visibility (but it might not be the case) or at least scale. In our processing, we actually convert

• invisibility into a (0, 0, 0)-scale
  • visibility into (1, 1, 1)-scale

and this might be the easiest way for you to achieve the color swapping effect without explicitely bothering with actual visibility.

I also expect modo to export all defined curves automatically so hopefully if you achieve what you expect in modo it should be processed fine on sketchfab. Hope this makes sense!

(Alexlegg) #7

Thank you.

This is the hack I'm actually using, as there are only a few elements that need to swap colours, I'm just scaling one down and another up. It seems to work. I thought maybe there was a more elegant workflow, but it seems ist just doing the same thing anyway!

Thank you for all the help.