Storm Giant BattleMage WIP

Since I am a forum hog, I thought I’d move my WIP for sketchfab’s sorcery contest here, to my own little corner. I’ll post updates and screenshots daily so myself and others can review the work.

So far I have made two timelapses over the past few days, showing the beginnings of a promising sculpture; a giant wizard, standing over the tiny trees and houses of a grove, casting an immense spell that tears the wind and weather asunder.

The first steps are to create the mage himself, in enough detail to be posed and tackled asymmetrically.

1 Like

A timelapse of my progress for the day:

Best watched at higher speed and enjoyed with music.
From here I think he’s good enough to pose and get into the real fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was super anxious to pose him right away, so I came back to this. Here’s the timelapse:

1 Like

Some WIP renders :slight_smile:

1 Like

Getting into the cloth sculpting :slight_smile:

Some renders of my work so far, and the timelapse:

1 Like
1 Like

I am loving the hell out of this project. I can’t seem to stop working on this. Unfortunately I lost the timelapse for this part because Zbrush crashed (and I’m using Zbrush’s built-in recorder, so that was lame…) In a nutshell, I added some chainmail using Zbrush’s nanomesh.

1 Like

Ideas are forming…

3 Likes

This concept looks promising. I’ll clean it up quite a bit and give the rocks some better detail and move them closer together, so the overall impact is less busy and brings focus to the wizard.

I want to add some wind and lighting force to the sculpt. I also have thoughts on a massive ornate spellbook floating open in front of him.

1 Like

Since he is a giant, I also need to bring focus to his scale. Perhaps some tiny trees and a few houses on the floating debree can bring out his sheer size.

1 Like

(upload://65TRtMWB6fVMLRGC3dz3Uc6IO5Y.jpeg)

Tiny trees to go with the tiny grass will be upcoming, along with some little houses to encapsulate the giant’s epic scale.

I’m polishing up my floating rock scene here, and adding a bit of color for the concept. I will have to be careful and do selective decimation to stay under 3m polys for the contest. Afterward I would like to do an amazing Zbrush render in full color as well.

The storm giant himself is far from done. Buckles, straps, potions, satchel… among other things. But at the moment, I would like to nail down all four corners for the concept before proceeding with detail.

3 Likes

It seems that even after decimation, fibermesh is still way too dense to be used for a 3M limit model. So I’m going to go in and sculpt the grass manually on its own layer. This way I can turn off the layer and do a high-quality render with fibermesh later on.
as for the trees, I’ll sculpt them as well. I have an idea of how to go about this.

1 Like

My timelapse so far… I’ve lost a few in-between scenes up to this point (accidentally deleting the previous video), but I’ll keep recording as much of the process as possible.

2 Likes

An arc to that back foot and leg to make it feel more natural & dynamic. I’m getting started for the day; thinking about sculpting the trees & little houses around the floating debris to emphasize his scale.

2 Likes

Sculpted the trees out of a cone and made some quick plane grass to spray all over the hilltops. Even at such low resolution, the grass is still 370k polys, so I may have to devise other props to take up space and cut the count down even more.

1 Like

Giant spellbook concept.

A name for this sculpt has finally come to mind… “Magnum Opus of the Storm King”

2 Likes

I needed a clean sculptable surface for the spellbook, which I will tear up with damage brushes so it appears old and weathered. I modeled the book in Blender. Now that the core elements of the sculpture are in place, we can start adding detail ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I would like a very ornate, stylish cover for the book, with a lock of sorts to bind it.

1 Like