Storm Giant BattleMage WIP

I’ve significantly shortened his chainmail skirt. I will add more billowing clothing from him later on. At the moment I’ve managed to get the chainmail down to 375k polys, which is a perfect place to blow that amount on detail.
I’ve also raised his head a bit and given him more neck room.

1 Like
2 Likes

I’ve decided to start detail with the spellbook. After a great deal of frustration looking for the right technique to make an ornate book cover, I discovered that the one I liked most was Zbrush’s chisel brush with the pyramid alpha. I was able to make a neat, clean design just by freehand.

I thought I was recording for this process but apparently wasn’t; that’s ok though, I still have the book’s spine to detail and can illustrate the process.

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like
2 Likes

The text uses the royalty free font “Lovecraft’s Diary” and is actually poetry by Lovecraft. It reads:

"I saw it from that hidden, silent place
Where the old wood half shuts the meadow in.
It shone through all the sunset’s glories - thin
At first, but with a slowly brightening face.
Night came, and that lone beacon, amber-hued,
Beat on my sight as never it did of old;
The evening star - but grown a thousandfold
More haunting in this hush and solitude.

It traced strange pictures on the quivering air -
Half-memories that had always filled my eyes -
Vast towers and gardens; curious seas and skies
Of some dim life - I never could tell where.
But now I knew that through the cosmic dome
Those rays were calling from my far, lost home.

"There is in certain ancient things a trace
Of some dim essence - more than form or weight;
A tenuous aether, indeterminate,
Yet linked with all the laws of time and space.
A faint, veiled sign of continuities
That outward eyes can never quite descry;
Of locked dimensions harbouring years gone by,
And out of reach except for hidden keys.

It moves me most when slanting sunbeams glow
On old farm buildings set against a hill,
And paint with life the shapes which linger still
From centuries less a dream than this we know.
In that strange light I feel I am not far
From the fixt mass whose sides the ages are."

The font and poetry I find appealing and beautiful. They have the mystical spell quality I’m looking for. I used Blender to create the text and Zbrush’s curve tools to line it up in place on the book’s pages. The font is impossible to read by all but the most literary nerd, so it fills out things nicely. (and yes, just because someone might actually be able to read it, I did make sure the text is right-side-up :dizzy_face:)

1 Like

The book is complete. Next I will focus on detailing and filling out our battlemage.

1 Like

I’m very much happy with this and proud of my work. I was able to give him a powerful, unique look that didn’t rely on any reference material.

The next pass will involve adding wrinkles and pores. He also needs eyebrows and eyelashes.

1 Like
1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

Adding the finishing touches, this guy should be up sometime later today or tomorrow ! :sunglasses:

1 Like

3 Likes

Congratulations on the win. It was great getting to follow your progress in this thread and getting to see all the care and attention to detail you put into your idea :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks. Sometimes I love a project and put more into it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

This thread is a great testament to your skill @toomanydemons!

Blows my mind that the final result started life as a bunch of blobby spheres :laughing:

2 Likes

Thanks. When I sit down to sculpt, I tend to have a lack of purpose and direction. I literally can’t make up my mind. It’s like writer’s block.

The sculpting contests here seem to immediately incite a reason and a direction to make something, a lot like having a customer, but much more fun because it’s open to possibility.

I would sculpt a lot less without these contests… I’m not sure why that’s the case, but it is true. So I’ll probably enter as many of them as I’m allowed to.

1 Like