SWC2015: Lando's Death Star Escape Animation WIP Thread

animation

(Zachary Hixson) #1

Hi there! I figured I'd give this a shot. I was excited to see that one of my favorite scenes in all of star wars was in the big group of topics. So, my scene will be an animation of the Falcon forever outrunning a wall of fire as Lando makes his desperate escape from the exploding Death Star II.

A clip of the scene

At the minimum, the scene will feature the Falcon flying away from a wall of fire. If I have time and manage to get stuff working correctly, the Falcon will outrun a periodic TIE fighter or two that will bounce off a wall and get engulfed in the flames.

I'll have my first progress sample up very soon.

(Zachary Hixson) #2

Here is my initial test of the animation. I was seeing how the repeating background tiles would function. I think it shows a lot of promise!
I may need to double the length of the tunnel in order to reduce the amount of tunnel sections clipping back to the beginning of the stack. Either that or move them out of the way... or maybe even reduce their scale! Man, that sounds tricky.

EDIT: Okay, I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to embed a model in this post. That probably means that there is a very obvious button right in front of me that I just can't see. Dang it.

Lando's Death Star Escape WIP SWC2015 by zhixson on Sketchfab

(Jason Ivens) #3

To embed your model in the form, just copy the models URL and past it on a new line in your post. I was having trouble posting mine as well :smile:

(Bart) #4

@zhixson I've fixed your embed

Thanks for joining! I have added a Sketchfab PRO licence to your account until December 11 so you can upload larger files and use up to 20 annotations.

(Zachary Hixson) #5

Huh, it's almost TOO easy...

Thanks for the help, guys!

(Romainrevert) #6

This is so cool ! The composition and the loop is so smart ! Hypnotic !
You plan to do one type of tunnel ?

(Zachary Hixson) #7

I plan to do a few different types. There are varying pipe combos and a section or two of large panels all lined up that he flew through, so I think that it could look relatively varied. Thanks for the comments!

(Jamesculley) #8

Cool idea that works well mate! Looking forward to what you do with it :smile:

(Zachary Hixson) #9

WIP Update!

I made a lot of progress on one of the chunks of background that will be repeating in the scene. I went ahead and tiled the poop out of it and put it up to check out how it works. Aside from some .fbx export errors and an absurd file size, I think it's going to work out pretty well. The scenery whips by so fast that I think I can get away with a lot less detail than initially planned. That's great because it should save a lot of time.

Here's the sample in question:

Lando's Death Star Escape WIP 002 SWC2015 by zhixson on Sketchfab

Also, thank goodness for the pro accounts 'cause the file size of the geometry alone was pretty astronomical. The polycount is going to have to be dropped dramatically methinks, but that shouldn't be too big a deal after some bakedowns. The rest of the background sections are just pipes, too, so that should work out nicely.

EDIT: After staring at it for a while, I'm also strongly considering toning down the rotation.

(Krzysztof Zwolinski) #10

Nice work,
about file size, change every cylindrical shape to 3-7 faces !!, most of pipes in this scenery are moving so fast that it's barely visible so you are wasting lot of VRam only to load millions of vertices which are not contributing to scenery.

(Bart) #11

I've just posted a contest update. Enjoy!

(Zachary Hixson) #12

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely do that!

(Zachary Hixson) #13

Unfortunately, a massive project at work has dominated all of my free time up until this point and has resulted in my not being able to do any work at all on this contest entry. Therefore, it is with great sadness and embarrassment that I must withdraw my entry. Feel free to revoke any and all anything that came with participation.

Hopefully things will calm down at work soon and I can see you guys in the next contest!

(Bart) #14

Sorry to hear that Zachary! There'll be more contests, but no more Star Wars for a while :frowning: