Texture Informed Tint for Opacity

So I’m currently looking to model some fairly complex glass, and the color of the glass changes pretty significantly from illuminated to not. Using the opacity functionality works pretty well for this effect, but only allows me to define a single tint for a material. Is there any chance of that supporting a texture to define the tint color in the future? Maybe in the near future? :sweat_smile: I could see a workaround of defining multiple materials for each type of glass in my scene, but I think it would still not capture the subtleties of the range of colors present in the glass.

Additional note: I know that you can use the diffuse texture to inform the tint color, so would it be possible to just make this point to another texture instead?

@nehon maybe it could make sense to allow an arbitrary texture in the Tint / refractionColor channel? Same for ClearCoatTint

2 Likes

Just following up. What you’ve described I think would fit my needs perfectly. Is this something that might change in the short term, or might I have to wait for a more long term solution? And even if I am not able to do it directly in the viewer, is there a way for me to apply such a texture through the viewer API? Apologies for the pestering, I’m just curious because I’ve taken a contract to do some glass models as part of a museum exhibit opening a little over a month from now, and whether or not I can use an arbitrary texture for tint will significantly change how I approach modeling the subjects.

Thanks again!

It’s feasible, and may even be easier to just always allow a texture in any slot, but it’s not added the the roadmap right now, so I don’t have a short term ETA. Sorry :confused:

Ok! No worries. It’s just good to have a firm answer, since that will be influencing how I am structuring my workflow. Thank you so much for following up with me though!

1 Like