Texture not scaling properly, need a little direction

(Simpletwig) #1

Model URL: https://skfb.ly/KvXC (updated w/ latest version)

Browser:Opera

Operating System:Mac OS 10.10.5

Description of problem:The brick texture on my test upload isn't scaled properly. The bricks are way too small. Is there an optimal size for a texture map, or maybe I imported the model at the wrong scale?

The second part of my question has to do with pivot point. On one test after messing with the chimney brick texture, it seems to move the pivot point from the center of the model to the chimney when I saved. Does one have to select a general texture to reset the pivot point, or is there some other method for setting it. Didn't see anything in tutorials or help.

-
I'm using ArchiCAD to create an obj file to zip file which seems to work the best. When I get the kinks worked out will be happy to put together a short tutorial for ArchiCAD users.

-
Great program btw, very easy to learn and navigate. 1st day here and already have a WIP model uploaded.

One suggestion, since these are 3D models, seems like a user click could reset the pivot point anywhere above the model area... that would be a great feature so one could navigate courtyards, rooms or other parts of a model.

(Stephomi) #2

The pivot point is always at the screen center at a "certain" distance.
Clicking "save view" will save the camera view with its current pivot point.

Double clicking on the surface to change the pivot point (you can double click on the background to reset the camera).
(Note that in the material tab in the editor, double clicking is slightly different at it will select the clicked materials).

As for the texture, it's best to upload power of two texture, so for example, instead of 2156x1856, 2048x2048 would be better (or 2048x1024, etc...).
However, doing that will not fix your problem though (it's just that you don't do it we are going to resize it to 2048x1024 so you might loose precision, usually not that big of a deal though).

But, the problem here seems to be a UV tiling/ UV scale issue.
I don't know ArchiCAD so I don't really know much than that (maybe @james?).
Note : you might also want to change the wrapS and wrapT property of the diffuse brick texture to Mirror instead of Repeat once the UV scale issue is solved (not 100% as it depends how you want it to look like).

I'm not familiar with ArchiCAD either, I'm afraid :confused:

We don't support UV tiling and offset - maybe that's the issue?

(Simpletwig) #4

Updated Model: https://skfb.ly/KvXC

Pivot Point: Thanks @stephomi I will try that next time. Just couldn't find it in the help/tutorial section so it's good to know and try it out, especially if I want to feature something off-center. That would especially be useful to those who make people, to center it near the neck rather than the groin area :smiley:

Texture Scaling: ArchiCAD works very differently than most 3D programs, I will have to start converting my library to 2048 x 2048. In the above model I resolved the texture issue by cropping my texture down.

Tutorial: (below) I think this is pretty thorough tutorial for ArchiCAD users. Hope it helps, my little thank you for such a great program.

In ArchiCAD (using AC17):
Go to your 3D-Model view window and show your entire model you want to export. The viewpoint I use is an aerial perspective… I doubt the viewpoint matters when exporting the model.

Command-Option-S (File Menu > SaveAs) (Mac OS);
In the Save 3D window at the bottom left, click ‘New Folder’ and name it as you like; then,
Select Format > Wavefront File and name your file (your_title.obj)

This will open a new dialogue box called: ‘Save Wavefront Document’
Check off ‘Model rotated’, and I use ‘Elements - Surfaces’

Set drawing unit to ‘1.000 inches’ (after experimenting with units, between 0.001 to 50,000 inches, I don’t think it has any impact on what is imported to SketchFab with regards to background or textures scale).

Click ‘OK’.

This will take just a few short seconds to save 3 components into your computer's folder: 3D-MODEL_Textures; 3D-MODEL.mtl and 3D-MODEL.obj.

When the processing from ArchiCAD is done:
Go to your finder and right click on the folder you made, and select ‘compress’ (Mac OS) to turn the folder into a Zip file; Don’t compress the individual files, just the folder that holds the files.
This will create a file named ‘your_title.zip’ which is what you will upload to your SketchFab profile (top right corner is the Upload button).

In SketchFab (via browser):
When uploading, you may get a message “There might be issues if you upload. Press continue to upload anyway” Click Upload. These ‘issues’ may have to do with textures that didn’t load, or weren’t assigned to an object (that you had the layer turned off and thus didn’t import). You can reassign textures, even upload new one’s from inside SketchFab.

Possible Issues:
Orientation: Your model may be imported in the wrong orientation which is easy to fix, just click ‘Edit 3D Settings’ inside SketchFab and in the edit window on the left > Straighten Model click on the ‘x’ arrow to rotate, and 'Save View, then Save Settings'.

Pivot Point: Double click on the part of the model you want as the pivot, click 'Save Settings'.

Background: Because the ArchiCAD model imports always seems tiny next to the default backgrounds I use a blank background. Go to ‘Edit 3D Settings’ > Lighting > turn off ‘Environment’ and turn on ‘Lights’.

When ready click on ‘Publish’.

Good luck.