The Time Machine... "It runs on steam!" [Complete]

(Se7en23) #1

Here's my progress so far for my Mad Science contest entry.

My concept was to create a Victorian, steampunk-themed mech suit that also happened to be a time machine! "It runs on steam!", as Doc Brown would say :slight_smile:

So far I've only spent a few hours modelling it (I've literally just blitzed through the initial blocking out phase and started adding detail). There are still some areas I'd like to improve, and I also still need to texture it, but it's coming along.

I was planning on including the scientist admiring his creation, but I doubt I'll have time so I'll probably have to concentrate on getting the mech finished.

(Angieteickner) #2

WOW so cool. Love how detailed this is :smile: Are you going to reduce it later?

(Se7en23) #3

I'm not sure what the final level of detail will be. The cage I'm working with is actually only around 55k tris. That test render is obviously quite a bit higher than that :slight_smile:

I can also ditch the interior to keep the final tri count under control if I have to.

(Bart) #4

Welcome on board! Don't forget to subscribe to the contest updates thread to receive a notification when we have news to share.

(Matcrush) #5

It's so exquisite! I like the steampunk feeling of it. It looks very alive! Good luck :slight_smile:

(Bart) #6

a quick personal reminder that the Mad Science contest closes next Wednesday (midnight, 23:59 New York time). So whatever you decided to do this weekend - you'd better cancel it and finish your entry :slight_smile:

As always, you can read contest updates here, and if you have any last minute questions feel free to email me at bart@ this website.

Good luck!!

(Se7en23) #7

After a few days of unwrapping UVs and painting textures, I've finally finished it...and it's ended up being just as mad as I hoped :slight_smile:

I'm not sure what a robot would need a moustache for, but it seemed fitting!

Steampunk Time Machine by se7en23 on Sketchfab

(Se7en23) #8

Just a quick update to say that my steampunk time machine has a new name: The Jeeves-o-Tron! I've also added a bit more of a backstory to my entry.

And no diabolical invention would be complete without some blueprints, drawn by Dr. Tally-Ho himself :wink:

(Dark Minaz) #9

needs a top hat .. but looks really nice, not sure how the time travel thing would work but i love the fact that you did model inside and outside

(Se7en23) #10

Forget time travel, I'm not even sure the legs on this thing would work. They'd probably just tear themselves to pieces the moment the steam engine started :slight_smile:

A top hat you say? Now let's not be silly :wink:

I'll probably leave my entry as is, but a top hat does add that extra bit of sophistication!

(Dark Minaz) #11

brilliant sir :smiley:
everything with a glorious Moustache needs a top hat.

Tearing itself apart and creating a wormhole to an alternative timezone .. that could work. :slight_smile:

(Mcsephiroth1313) #12

Dude the top hat is the cherry on top. Great work, and it's very impressive that you modeled the interior too.

(Se7en23) #13

There's a clear love for the top hat so I've decided to include it in the final version after all :wink:

Thanks for the suggestion dark_minaz, it definitely makes the head area more interesting.