Tools for Cultural Heritage applications?

(Ben Kreunen) #21

I think this is going beyond what is feasible with Sketchfab... possibly more aligned to sites like http://cyark.org/ although their focus is mainly on larger heritage sites/projects, but still worth airing as you never know what will happen in the years to come.

(Ben Kreunen) #22

It'll be about 1/2 a sentence longer than whatever limit you set wink

(Ben Kreunen) #23

An alternative to a compass in the model may be a compass in the interface (say, near the navigation tools), assuming you can get the orientation of the model for the current view. Then you would just need to know the heading for the standard front view. With a compass in the model it could potentially be out of the frame a lot.

(Getinsitu) #24

I would say 500-1000

(Bart) #25

Thanks for the description length input, it seems like we'll go with 1024 (we're geeks, after all wink

(Ben Kreunen) #26

Most of the suggestion are similar in that they're all about adding context to the models. One other thing that would be nice would be a photo annotation with a brief caption. I'd envisage using that to provide a location shot or a historical photo. Should have a separate icon that the existing annotation to differentiate it and allow a short caption.

(Gerpho) #27

Hi
I fully agree with everything said above. (measurements, maps with multiple models indicated, longer caption (BTW : 1K is fine...) )

One of things I've been asking for for a long time is the possibility to switch between two languages for the caption.
Obviously many people run into this problem : I can see models with captions in languages I don't understand (even with character sets I can't read frowning https://skfb.ly/yM7q ). Some of my contacts don't like my models being captionned in english.
Therefore I suggest a switch with two positions one "mother language" (possibly with a user-defined language name, or flags ?) and one "english" always.

Another thing related to annotations. Actually, from time to time, I'd rather have a guided tour without any comments that tend to be in the way, just the autopilot. Ideally, including a "speed" field, or "time between annotation points".

Philippe

(Bart) #28

I've moved this message to the new Cultural Heritage group.

(Ben Kreunen) #29

Having an optional "free flight" navigation mode would be handy for complex scenes, e.g. around buildings. Typical gaming navigation with arrow keys/AWSD keys for movement and mouse for look direction. This can be much easier than orbit mode.
e.g. Potree point cloud (navigation mode activated with left hand icon on lower toolbar) compared to Sketchfab model

(Bart) #30

Try this :smile:

(Ben Kreunen) #31

Yeah, that'll be one of those pesky I wish it did somehting it already does suggestions flushed duh

I like the walk speed adjustment

(Mosheca) #32

Hi.
Just came across this post.
Only a few minutes ago I actually posted on the forum suggestions relevant to your request:

I work exclusively in the cultural heritage sector / Education. Therefore I am specifically looking at how Sketchfab can improve the learning experience in these fields.
The Smithsonian X3D beta site is an interesting direction. No doubt much more can be added to it, however the idea of tagging additional data, links, wikipedia material, maps, etc, is surely a great enhancement to the model.

(Bart) #33

So with all the news this week I totally forgot to mention this to you guys: we've increased the length of descriptions to 1024 characters, AND we added folder descriptions. Thanks for asking about it! Other requests are not forgotten - it's often a matter of available time/priority/ease of implementation/how well does it fit in the product.

http://blog.sketchfab.com/post/112212299229/website-update-new-lighting-editor-and-more-week

(Media Center for Art History) #34

Hi All,

Lots of great ideas floating around in this thread and its wonderful to see an active community around these topics. There are two feature requests I have that would be essential for us in the future:

1. Point-to-point measurement (I know this was mentioned earlier but its a make-or-break feature for us). We will be doing lots of photogrammetry on sculptures and reliefs and the ability to establish and measure real-world scale on the model would be extremely helpful for study. 3D pdfs have a good measurement tool (only available with Acrobat Pro however).

2. Manipulation of the scene light orientation. Again with sculpture and reliefs this is important for study of slight changes in depth or texture. If one could orbit the light like an object that would be ideal. 3DHOP has a pretty good system.

I don't know the feasibility of either of these features within the platform but I think a lot of others would benefit from them as well.

Thanks,

Tim
Media Center for Art History
Columbia University

(Bart) #35

Hey Tim,

we already have this - you can either edit the light in the 3D editor, or hold down ALT and drag the left mouse button to rotate the entire light setup. Most of the time, 3D Scanned models are used in 'shadeless' mode though as they already have baked in lighting information.

(Media Center for Art History) #36

Hi Bart,

Thanks for the very quick reply! The lighting feature in the editor is fantastic, but I guess I was not clear in my question. It would be great if end-users were able to manipulate the existing lights in a scene. Unless this is already possible and I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks,
Tim

(Bart) #37

Hi Tim,

if you mean that the owner of a model can edit lights: absolutely, see below. Other users can't access the lights though - is that something you'd need? Maybe you could help us understand the use case of it?

(Media Center for Art History) #38

Hi Bart,

Yes, I would need other users to be able to control a light. For an example use case, say we have a statue or piece of pottery which needs to be primarily lit from one angle to show the overall features of the work, but the default lighting does not make a shallow inscription or detail legible. If one of our students or instructors, when viewing the publicly accessible model, could toggle a button to orbit the light instead of the model they could then adjust the light so that the inscription or detail is lit properly.

Often works we are dealing with are in poor states of preservation and multiple angles of lighting are needed to cast the appropriate shadows to view all details. I hope that makes sense?

Thanks again for your attention on this,
Tim

(Bart) #39

Hi Tim,

Understood. So right now the only option I can offer is the ALT+Left drag mode where the light setup will rotate around the model. I don't think we have more detailed user control of lights planned right now, although if we offered API access to the light's position, orientation and other settings you could control them using a little JavaScript. It could work similar to our 'configurator' demo where you can toggle models in a scene on and off using a little javascript.

@mauricesvay - one for the wishlist?

(Media Center for Art History) #40

Hi Bart,

Sounds great. I'd be happy to work with the API for this feature, and I don't think it would really be necessary for all models so that makes more sense anyway.

Looking forward to updates. Thanks again,

Tim