Tools for Cultural Heritage applications?

(Bart) #41

I'll promote the idea and we'll let you know what happens!

(Gerpho) #42

Hi Bart

I Fully agree with the other suggestion : point to point measurement.
You MUST do this, it's very important in many cases

Cheers

Philippe

(Bart) #43

I guess we'd need a way to define the scale of a model first, and then add some kind of interactive tool to the viewer. How do point-to-point measurements work exactly? Is it by measuring the length of the vector between two points, or should measure a path along the surface?

(Gerpho) #44

Well, actually I use the measuring tool of acute3D's viewer (you might load it, upload an example and see how it works).
The interface is crude, but it's very efficient.

It is a vector length. The nice thing is that it can be measured betwee any two points, say on opposite sides of a solid, (ie for example the diameter of a sphere) which are difficult to measure otherwise. That's the easy part of the answer.

The question of the scale is a bit more difficult (but it has been solved by the 3D printers). There is a "natural" scale in the model, it is the unit of the mesh coordinates. 3D printers often assume this represents millimeters. Or it could be meters (in my case, for aerial scans). And then you can user define what this scales to (see sculpteo interface to have the feeling of how THEY handle it). Many possibilities acutally.

But the fact is, for a scan, it seems natural enough to supply measuring tools, since the scan represents a real thing (in the case of cultural heritage for example) and of course, you'd like to scale it, and be able to take a few measurement.

(Samantha Porter) #45

Figured I may as well add my two cents.

In terms of adding a measuring tool, I think that would be nice. At the same time, I think it may be best for it to be a feature that needs to be enabled by the user uploading the model. Models produced using photogrammetry aren't necessarily scaled automatically. As far as I can tell, people don't always bother to correct the scale of their models, so if the measuring tool was automatically available for all uploaded models it could lead to some confusion.

I also think that having a light that people viewing the models can control more freely would be absolutely great. For me, I'd say this would be more important than the measuring tool. As mentioned earlier in the thread, 3DHOP's system is a good model.

Finally, in terms of foreign languages, it would be nice if it would be possible to use accents in folder names. Currently, this doesn't seem possible (see example below). It's a little thing, but I still feel like by leaving out the accent I'm misspelling the site name!

(Bart) #46

Hi @port0228,

thanks! We're made a note of those feature requests. I can't make any promises yet as they're quite domain-specific and we may have to prioritize more general features first. Once we make progress we'll report back here.

I created a bug report for the folder characters. Special characters seem to work fine everywhere else, right?

(Samantha Porter) #47

Yep! Folders are the only place where I've run into any issue.

(Bart) #48

Excellent, thanks for confirming that! I'll let you know when this has been fixed.

(Bart) #49

This has been fixed with the 'advanced rotation' widget in the 3D editor:

(Bart) #50

Hi @port0228,

we fixed the issue with special characters in folder names. Thanks for reporting it!

(Samantha Porter) #51

Looks like it's working on my end. Thanks!

(Media Center for Art History) #52

Hi Bart,

I've been working with some new photogrammetric models we are producing and it occurred to me that in the case of reliefs, inscriptions, and facades it would be great for presentation if the rotation could be limited to a specific range on a per-model basis. For example, if the viewer would not be able to rotate the object past 180° since the model is essentially a one sided plane.

By no means is this a make-or-break feature but it could be very useful for some of our less tech-savvy faculty and students so that they don't get lost in the models.

Thanks,

Tim

(Bart) #53

Hi @mediacenterforarthis,

yeah we get this request a lot, from all kinds of artists. It's being discussed smile

Thanks for contributing the idea!

Bart

(Media Center for Art History) #54

Great! Thanks for the quick response!

(Ben Kreunen) #55

I don't present point clouds often, but I've also seen a few others on Sketchfab. It would be nice to have some options for controlling the size of points, or at least a variable point size so that closer parts of the point cloud are more visible, especially on point clouds that are much longer in one direction.

Long path test by UoM Digitisation Centre on Sketchfab

(Otto Bagi) #56

Hi guys, great topic. I can just repeat the previous requests for a point-to-point measurement tool and possibly a north arrow.

(Nestor F. Marques) #57

Hi all!

I get this issue a lot with people who are not used to the object I'm showing to them.

I've read your comments and I also agree with de measurement tool. Maybe it could be an optional tool to add to the model as well as the scale.

Here I send you an example of how it could look like.

Here you have the actual model. It's a church and you could imagine the size but it feels right to have a dynamic scale there.

Iglesia de la Vera Cruz by Néstor F. Marqués on Sketchfab

(Bart) #58

@NestorMarques with the perspective, I doubt that this would work? If you zoom and move, how do you know which part of the model the measurement bar is referring to?

(Nestor F. Marques) #59

It's not referring to any part in particular but it gives instead a sense of the size of the object. You wouldn't know the exact meassures (that's why we need a measurement tool) but it would give you the right perspective to see the object in its right size. The scale would be fixed in the bottom left part (p.e.) and when you zoom the scale would change its size dynamically to represent the same as the object.

In my example, that scale tells you how big 30 meters are in the model. If you zoom in, the same scale length changes to represent 10 meters or even less if you get real close to the object. Just like and online maps service. If you zoom in, the scale changes to let you know the approximated size of the area you are seeing. It creates a context for people to imagine what they are looking at in their mind.

I understand this still needs more ideas, thoughts and developing but it would be nice to have it (at least for Cultural Heritage purposes)

(Bart) #60

That makes sense, but it would be very inaccurate, right? It would depend a lot on if the 30 meters are in the front or on the back of the 3D model - the perspective would distort it.