TooManyDemons - Myth Creature Retopology - Round 2

(Toomanydemons) #1

This will be my forum section for progress on Arachne, for Sketchfab’s Mythical Creature contest :slight_smile:
Good idea to have us make our own forum thread for this; I like to post daily and it’s a fun way to record progress (imo).

(Toomanydemons) #2

Here in just a few minutes I’ll be sitting down to live stream the retopology of Arachne in 3D Coat. For those who are so desperately bored that they would sit down to watch such an event, I’ll be streaming here:

(Toomanydemons) #3

My progress so far.

I’d originally decided to use 3D Coat for this, because the software is pretty and I like the viewport. But unfortunately, and consistently – with every model I retopo – I discover (over and over) that Retopoflow 2 is actually better, by a far margin. The tools and workflow are better and faster, with better options (like being able to rotate edge loops around a cylindrical form, a relax tool with a better algorithm and adjustable strength, and (best of all) unbreakable symmetry).

I’m impressed with how good and solid Retopoflow 2 is. Those guys did a great job.

I will say one thing, 3D Coat looks a lot prettier in the viewport, and it can handle a lot more polys. I can’t wait for Retopoflow to come over to Blender 2.8 !

(Toomanydemons) #4

Once again, I’ll be sitting down to finish up the retopology of Arachne in 3D Coat and Retopoflow. For those who are so desperately bored that they would sit down to watch such an event, I’ll be streaming here:

(Toomanydemons) #5

Almost done!

This will probably be done sometime tomorrow and I can move on to the UV’s :slight_smile:

(Toomanydemons) #6

(Toomanydemons) #7

The final triangulated mesh is beautiful, animation-friendly and ready for UV’s. The eyes will be a special project on their own material and I’ll save them for after the body’s uv/bake test.

(Toomanydemons) #8

After getting her to the test bake, I realized I didn’t like some of the subtle sharp points in the silhouette of the character. So I’ve backtracked and spent some time building extra edge loops into her torso. This took quite a bit of time but the result will be worth it when I get to the texturing. A few extra edge loops will go a long way to making her form look less polygonal.

While I was there, I also spent quite a bit of time adjusting / improving the flow of the geometry, making sure that edge loops are where they will be needed, and sparing triangles for places where I know it’s unlikely there will be a lot of deformation.

One more thing I will do before triangulating the mesh, is add custom triangulation to the faces that follow the contours of her clothing. This way I can be sure the quad triangulates in the direction of the offset (of her clothing from her body) and will improve the silhouette of the character.

Now I’m happy with this geometry and can proceed to the UV’s.

(Toomanydemons) #9

In the end, 3D Coat proved to be the superior retopology tool, simply for the fact that the geometry was way more “readable” when things got complex.

This is the primary area where Retopoflow is lacking. It does have superior tools, but I don’t like being able to see the geometry on the other side of the model, even at a grazing angle. So in the end, the primary amount of retopology work was handled perfectly by 3D Coat :heart_eyes:

I’m still newer to 3D Coat and am learning the nuances of the software. So far, despite some lacking features, I’m still very happy with the retopo toolset.

(Toomanydemons) #10

Colored wireframes!!!

Blender 2.8 FTW

(Toomanydemons) #11

test bake with place-holder UV’s, to make sure the mesh follows the baked detail well. It’s looking good, ready for painting :slight_smile:

(Pallavicini Daniele) #13

The bake looks like so cool! Compliments! :wink:

(Toomanydemons) #14

Thanks, there’s been a bit of backtracking here and there with this model. I’m still figuring her out. I’m not sure what color she’ll be yet

(Pallavicini Daniele) #15

Will you do it cartoon or realistic?

(Toomanydemons) #16

I will go for something in between. Stylized, but detailed :slight_smile:

(Mind Chamber) #17

looks amazing!!

how exactly did you add the details? Im not sure what 3dpaint is…

(Toomanydemons) #18

It’s projection, most 3D software can do it. You can give it a go for free in Blender, just google “Blender baking” on youtube and you’ll be well on your way :wink:

(Toomanydemons) #19

Her mesh and UV’s are finalized. She’s baked and ready for painting :slight_smile:
For this, I will use a combination of Substance and 3D Coat. Substance will be for the underlying materials and procedural effects. 3D Coat will be for breaking up those procedural effects and adding an additional layer of organic detail to the texture.

(Toomanydemons) #20

Eyelashes, extra hair detail, and more detailed eyes will be done last.

(Pallavicini Daniele) #21

Compliments, you are really fast! How many UV set are you using?