Turn objects on and off using configurator

(Astro Logix) #1

Hi all -

I have seen the model chair with the options to change colours. Is it possible to add the function to be able to switch parts of a model on and off

I have uploaded a model https://skfb.ly/6nWY6 which consists of several 3D shapes, I would like to be able make it possible to switch off (or hide) parts of the model.

Cheers,
Rob
AstroLogix

(Shaderbytes) #2

it is possible to show/hide objects using the viewer api. You cant do this on the sketchfab domain itself only on an embed you do on another domain.

Check out the developers section of the site for more info. I have developed an API utility to make working with the sketchfab API slightly easier, you can find that in the tutorials section as well.

cheers

(Autumnpioneer) #3

Maybe if it's different materials you could set the transparency to maximum?

(Shaderbytes) #4

This can work but is not ideal because if you have multiple objects sharing that material they will all be affected. Object visibility is available so it is better to use the correct tool for the task at hand :slight_smile:

(Autumnpioneer) #5

I was just thinking for a work around :slight_smile:

(Shaderbytes) #6

There is api functionality to do exactly what the OP required and this is what I pointed out. Why then go suggest a workaround? Using material transparency is not a scalable solution. Use the right tools for the task at hand. Workarounds are only needed when there is no tool for the task :slight_smile:

(Autumnpioneer) #7

Don't want to argue but i was just putting forward my idea, he also never said anything about embedding it on another domain from what i can tell. It was just an idea...

(Shaderbytes) #8

Sure it is not an argument dont worry. He did mention the chair configurator firstly , which is an external embed that uses the sketchfab viewer API and then discussed his model on sketchfab, which is why you will see i pointed out that such functionality is only available to external embeds.

(Astro Logix) #9

Thanks shaderbytes and autumnpioneer for your suggestions. I'll have a look for the API utility you've developed, or do you have a link to the page? :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Rob
AstroLogix

(Shaderbytes) #10

There is a sticky post now ( I created it yesterday ) in the forum will all the developer links , the utility link is in there.

(Astro Logix) #11

Hi Shaderbytes

I've not been able to work on this project until now, I've just got back to this thread. I've looked in the forum for the developer links for your post, can you post a link to the thread?

Thanks
Rob