(Unofficial) Household Props Challenge

challenge

(Hanoldaa) #1

Hello Sketchfab Community,

I put together this little personal challenge to help improve my modeling, texturing and baking process and skills. It started when another artist friend (@echofourpapa) suggested I look around my apartment and just list everything I can see and start making them, and as I put together the list it started to feel like an Inktober prompt. So I decided to follow that format as inspiration and figured I’d share it out to the community.

The ideas behind the constraints was to create a consistent feel and make the challenge somewhat challenging.

The warm-up section is intended to fill the gap until April or serve as backups if you wanted to replace some of the main props. I’ve already started a bit out of order because I put the list together after I started some of the models. I’m honestly not expecting to hit a model every day, but I’ll give it a shot.

Looking forward to any feedback or models! Depending on how well it goes, I may followup with a similar challenge for different themes (sci-fi, fantasy, gothic… idk).

Also, sorry if this is the wrong location for this post. I wasn’t sure where else it belonged.

(Hanoldaa) #2

Started working on a pizza prop. I think I’m done with the model and ready to move on to unwrapping and texturing. Thinking about how to unwrap this scares me :scream:

edit didn’t realize there wasn’t versioning with the embedded links. Added some pepperonis and a better unwrap. I struggled with the texture pipeline in blender and kept wiping out my progress somehow. Hopefully I’ll get more familiar with it.

(Ben Hosac) #3

Hmmm, I may do some stuff for this once the deiselpunk thing is wrapped up. I like it! Gogogo!
edit: In response to unwrapping, try out 3dcoat. It’s unwrap, painting and most other features are wonderful!

(Hanoldaa) #4

Another warmup prop. I feel like I’m getting a better handle on setting up textures and bakes in Blender, but definitely still some unknowns.

(Hanoldaa) #5

Another prop done. Tried experimenting with overlapping UVs to share the same AO space for similar images. I also realized the aliased edges I get from my AO is because Blender doesnt bake AA… so I need to bake at higher res and downscale. I pulled it into photoshop and blurred the edges and it made a big difference. Tomorrow I will try out a simple framed picture.

(Zachary Hixson) #6

Warm-up challenge 3. Definitely spending way too much time on these. :sweat:

(Zachary Hixson) #7

Wanted to go ahead and post warmups one and two in here as well:

(Zachary Hixson) #8

I tried to make a kitty cat stapler for warm up 04. It’s… alright. :no_mouth:

(Hanoldaa) #9

Hard to call it a flower, but it’s a budding succulent. Geometry crept up on me real fast. Played with vertex colors this time around instead of using a diffuse texture.

(Hanoldaa) #10

My painting warmup. This one didn’t attempt do anything fancy. I simply tried to apply some the UV knowledge that I’ve gained with Blender. I think it took about 30-45 minutes but a bit of that was experimenting with different settings. I pulled the image for the painting from my artstation.

(Zachary Hixson) #11

Warm Up 05 - Soda

This was fun, but I really gotta do something faster tomorrow.

(Hanoldaa) #12

Slurm! Looks awesome.

(Danman7) #13

so you eat fast food and leave it laying around, and make into 3D modles

(Zachary Hixson) #15

Just keepin’ it real.

(Zachary Hixson) #16

Warm Up 06 - Junk Food

Dialed it waaaaaay back for this one and stayed within a sane time frame for the challenge.
Vertex painting mixed with some post processing and lighting tweaks.

(Hanoldaa) #17

Last warmup for the challenge. I think I’m going to attempt to use gradient maps for these props as it cuts down the unwrap and texture process a lot. And it eliminates the need for AO. If I’m pressed for time I’ll probably go for the same look but with vertex colors.

(Nomadking) #18

Setting yourself a challenge with deadlines and contents is a great way to force yourself through a body of work, which in turn is great for practice :slight_smile:

Some nice looking models in here - keep up the good work!

(Hanoldaa) #19

Agreed, after just a week I feel like I’ve already learned a ton and can accomplish more much faster.

(Hanoldaa) #20

First prop of the challenge and I’m super happy with it!

(sirkitree) #21

First prop of the challenge :slight_smile: