(Unofficial) Household Props Challenge

challenge

(Daniel O'Neil) #204

Undoubtedly! And the printer is by far the most boring item on the list for me.

(Juansu4rez) #205

Day 20, Exercise equipment

(Low Poly ) #206

What a wonderful day. It would take a barbecue!
My daily entry for the #HouseholdPropsChallenge . Day #21: Grill

(Daniel O'Neil) #207

Here’s a cool thing I’ve just learned as part of this challenge, which has nothing to do with low-poly modeling: I was really struggling with the lighting on this model and none of the default set-ups (which up until now I’ve relied on) were satisfactory. I needed good ambient lighting for the computer and a light bulb inside the aquarium, so I read up on how to manually set up lights in Sketchfab and got to it! I’m really happy with the results. This a great example of how engaging in regular practice can teach you many things along the way, not just what you explicitly set out to learn. I’ve always felt completely ignorant about lighting in 3D and this exercise helped me feel, well, empowered. Thanks for providing these terrific learning opportunities, @hanoldaa!

(Daniel O'Neil) #208

I love the flames

(Hanoldaa) #209

All caught with the exception of today’s prop! Here’s my window (replaced globe), ceiling fan and exercise equipment!

(Hanoldaa) #210

@doneil That’s awesome! I think I’d agree that most of what I’ve learned has really nothing to do with the low poly style, but just learning whole process, tools and even the right frame of mind when approaching modeling. It’s gotten to the point now where most of the models I’m not monitoring my tri count because I have a much better feel for what 300 tris looks like. I still go over sometimes but it’s a lot easier to cleanup now.

As for the abundance of computer equipment, yeah I was sitting in my office when I started making the list. Feel free to pick something not on the list.

(Juansu4rez) #211

Day 21, Grill, 299 triangles.

(sirkitree) #212

Day 21: Grill

(Kielkaiser) #213

21° model - the Grill. i use too many textures, hope not go out of the rule

(Zachary Hixson) #214

21 - Grill

Feel the burn, I guess.

(Hanoldaa) #215

My go-to charcoal grill for perfect grilling.

(Hanoldaa) #216

New scene with some of the living room furniture

(Daniel O'Neil) #217

I love the runner on the coffee table.

(Daniel O'Neil) #218

@hanoldaa, how are you getting the gradient on the window? Did you create a gradient texture in your modeling tool and bake it? I can make a gradient in Cinema 4D but it doesn’t port over to Sketchfab and there doesn’t seem to be a way to make a live gradient in the Sketchfab materials settings.

(Juansu4rez) #219

Day 22, Stove

(sirkitree) #220

Day 22: Stove

(Zachary Hixson) #221

22 - Stove

(Low Poly ) #222

My daily entry for the HouseholdPropsChallenge .
Day 22: Stove

(Hanoldaa) #223

@doneil I use this for all of the diffuse textures on my models
GradientMap

So I just projected the UVs and rotated them about 45 degrees and squished em into one of the ramps.