Using PBR Texture Packages in SketchFab - a Cheat Sheet

materials
textures

(Tyson Gersh) #1

I know there are all sorts of lengthy tutorial out there on color theory. It’s a complicated space with lots of payoff for those willing to put in the work to understand exactly what is happening when computers render images. I’m looking forward to the day that I have some real understanding of all of it. However, that day is not today.

With that in mind, I got some really great PBR texture packages that have 6 files for every texture. They are labeled as follows:

1. Diffuse
  2. Glossiness
  3. Height
  4. Normal
  5. Reflection
  6. jpg

My question is what is the appropriate material editor feature that each of these correspond to?

So far my guessing is as follows:

1. Diffuse = Base Color (?) and Specular F0 (?)
  2. Glossiness = Roughness/Glossiness
  3. Height = ???
  4. Normal = Normal
  5. Reflection = ???
  6. jpg = N/A (this is just to assist with manually navigating the materials in the local directory)

Am I wrong on any of these?

I know it varies by material, but are there general guidelines for what I should be uploading into Base Color and Metalness?

In the case of this beige stone package, should I just use the color wheel to find the closest thing to beige under base material?

I guess I’m assuming that I want to use all of the files, but this may not be accurate. If not, how many should I be looking to place for the texture to render optimally?

(Tyson Gersh) #2

I did email the manufacturer of the texture package as well regarding this issue and received the following response. Figured I would share.

Looks like you’ll probably want the Specular PBR workflow.

1. Diffuse → Base Color or Albedo (depending on Metalness or Specular PBR workflow, respectively), all three of these (diffuse, albedo, base color) are basically identical
  2. Glossiness → [Roughness/]Glossiness
  3. Height → We don’t really support height maps, we do have displacement but it’s sort of a trick (the mesh needs to be subdivided in advance, we can’t generate vertices on the fly)
  4. Normal → Normal map
  5. Reflection → Probably Specular (or Specular F0 in Metalness workflow)
  6. jpg → looks like this is just a sample render of the material, not a texture.

You can read more about each channel on Sketchfab here:

https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/articles/204429595-Materials-PBR-

You can also have all these textures applied automatically to the correct channel by following our naming conventions:

https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/articles/202600873-Materials-and-Textures#textures-auto-pbr

Given those file names, they might work aready.

(Paul Sketch) #4

Just a minor detail, “heightmap” can also be used as a “normal map” alternative, in the “bumpmap” choice of normal map widget. (it’s even a thing to test first as bumpmap much smaller in size than normal maps)