Villain's Lair Challenge [ENDED]

This is my entry for the #VillainsLairChallenge

Hi Mate, how are you? it will be amazing to know roughly how long could take the judgment? also which methods are you using to communicate the winners? thanks :slight_smile:

From the contest announcement page:

Potential winner(s) will be notified on or about April 15, 2022.

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile:

I was wondering. I’m a seller on sketchfab, so I have a pro paypal account. Will Paypal take a commission on the cash prize when you will send it through it ?

Thanks for the answer :smiley:

Hello, When will there be an announcement of the winners?

Unfortunately, the judging, winner confirmation and prize awarding processes is a bit long winded (mostly legal and tax related processes) - I’m afraid we can’t share more than that at the moment, but please know we are working hard to push the process along as much as possible :man_bowing:

3 Likes

alright, thanks.

At long last, we can finally announce the winners for the Villain’s Lair Challenge! Big thanks to everyone for their patience as we worked on getting all the behind-the-scenes stuff in order. :slight_smile:

Winners

1st Place: Woe of the Necromancer by zenTmoon

Prizes:

$2000 cash prize
1 year of Sketchfab Premium ($948 value)
1 year of ArtStation Pro ($120 value)
$100 ArtStation gift card
50,000 RealityCapture PPI credits ($125 value)
$100 credit for the Unreal Engine Marketplace

Judges’ notes:

“Large, alluring scene with plenty to discover! Every time I revisit it - I find new details. Points of interest (posed skeletons) are scattered in the vast scene which forces you to explore. Texture work is beautiful. This scene uses a mix between baked and rendered lighting which is done very well. Contrast and clarity are a bit low due to lighting conditions (too dark) and scale. I really like the unique idea with an initial view from which you zoom out to see the large room. It has a ‘WOW’ effect. Very well executed!” - Justin

“In awe of this highly polished large-scale enveloping environment that makes great use of colour and light to guide the viewer, and oozes character from each skelly, giving them all their own unique personality.” - Glen

“The zoomed in facepalm tells a lot about her evil plans. It reminds me of those memes with “expectation vs reality” :D. Who could have known skeletons need loads of milk? I think zenTmoon did a great job here pushing the limitations of the real time renders with beautiful textures and baked in lights. It gave the whole work that extra mile it needed. A job well done :+1:” - Victor

2nd Place: Moșu’s hut by Nadine Bucknor

Prizes:

$1000 cash prize
6 months of Sketchfab Premium ($474 value)
$50 ArtStation gift card
40,000 RealityCapture PPI credits ($100 value)
$50 credit for the Unreal Engine Marketplace

Judges’ notes:

“An incredibly innovative use of the Sketchfab viewer to tell a gripping story, paired with a very clean, distinctive art style.” - Glen

“Clever presentation of a direful story. The way Nadine Bucknor used Sketchfab viewer and music on YouTube to present the whole story is wonderful. The art style is unique and delivers the true feeling of possessed evil hut.” - Victor

“Creative, smart idea, with good story telling. Happy to see the folklore being used to create more depth to this scene. Ominous atmosphere and strong feelings are tangible. Animation delivers additional immersion. The models of the masks could be done with more care and the navigation of the scene is a little clunky due to its composition but as long as you follow the annotation perspectives - it holds up nicely.” - Justin

3rd Place: Invo-cat-ion by Mokastral

Prizes:

$500 cash prize
3 months of Sketchfab Premium ($237 value)
$50 ArtStation gift card
30,000 RealityCapture PPI credits ($75 value)
$25 credit for the Unreal Engine Marketplace

Judges’ notes:

“I always knew it! All cats are evil, but also so cute (◠‿◠)… Lovely colours and great presentation. Beautiful stylized art and low poly models work really well here. Mokastral made a beautiful art piece, hands down.” - Victor

“Very good lighting and atmosphere. The idea is cool and the humour is good. Unfortunately the scene looks a little rushed! Outside walls are two sided which makes it harder to orbit around to view the composition from the outside. I also wish there was an animation to add depth to this amazing diorama. Good contrast and stylization, keep up the hard work!” - Justin

“This is a beautifully composed and lit scene, with a gorgeous colour palette, and extremely high-quality hand-crafted textures.” - Glen

2 Likes

when will the results be announced?

One post up - 25 minutes before you posted this :slight_smile: