Sketchfab Forum

VR Clubhouse - Cyberpunk

(Mordax) #1

My first time working with VR and hubs and sketchfab AND spoke. I wanted to get out of my comfort zone and try out some VR design. (Of course, not too far from the deadline, been so busy).

I’d like to try to make a Cyberpunk clubhouse :+1:!

(Mordax) #2

So yeah, ran out of time but still wanted to have something up for the competition. Didn’t expect such a large polygon count - I suspect the reason is because I used triangles as the motif for the Servers… Hopefully that’s okay? I realize we need to keep it under 50k but I’m getting the feeling if I stuck with squares, it would be less. Not sure what to do about it at this point.

Tools used: 3D Slash, TinkerCad, Paint3D, Spoke, 3D builder.

(Mordax) #3

Plain room, a prop in itself

(Mordax) #4

Super duper basic tables

(Mordax) #5

Cyberpunk goggles, used my real life ones as inspiration.

(Mordax) #6

Slightly weird computer screens - seems to be working as intended in the finished completed room.

(Mordax) #7

The dreaded triangles, whyyyy. I was so proud of this design, lol.

(Mordax) #8

The culprit of me going over the polygon count - why does it count individual triangles? I’m so sad :crying_cat_face:

(Mordax) #9

My finished Clubhouse.

(Daedal Js) #10

there’s a lot of extra geometry in there.
your tables look to have only the needed geometry for their forms but everything else seems to have extra. (including the room itself)

some things could have been done with a good bit less triangles simply by using intersecting meshes rather than a solid mesh. so like the overall form of the server farm (ignoring teh more detailed bits on the front and back for now) could have been two separate boxes that just overlap each other rather than being modeled together.

for the individual servers in the farm it could have been done the same way. just boxes that pass through the front and back faces of the server farm which means not only would you save geometry on the server farm’s form because you don’t actually have to connect the forms, you also save geometry on the side walls of the servers because the front and back ones actually share that geometry rather than having to have their own.

things like the triangle designs on the servers don’t actually need their points/verts connected to the front face behind the design. it’s adding a lot of extra triangles you don’t need.

as long as they just appear to be a part of the server the design still works so if you disconnected all the edges between them and the front wall of the server you’d be fine.

you may also want to rethink how much geometry you’re using to round edges. it may take a lot to round things over for 3d printing but for stuff you’re just seeing on the screen you can use normal maps to keep hard edges from appearing or things like in blender where it lets you set faces to smooth or flat rendering which does seem to translate over into sketchfab.

how round a form looks is also very much dependent on how close you are to it. the closer you are to it the more geometry you’ll need to make it appear round. the farther you are the less geometry you need.

the reason i haven’t passed 18k triangles yet even though my clubhouse is huge is because well, i haven’t added anything with near that much modeled detail as of yet but also because i’ve used a lot of these tips in my own clubhouse model.

(Mordax) #11

Wow, that’s really excellent advice, thanks so much for writing that up! I didn’t realize that molding objects together is worse for the triangle count than just having them separate… If I somehow scrounge up some more time, I will try out your tips to lower the count.

It’s weird though, I’ve been using relatively newcomer-ish tools, and they put a lot of emphasis on grouping together and molding objects together. So your advice is extremely valuable.

(Daedal Js) #12

i’d never heard of 3d slash but after looking it up i can tel you it and tinker CAD are more cad oriented.

CAD is a little more focused towards stuff like 3d printing and design for things that may become physical pieces rather than just graphical pieces. it is better for things like that to be molded together but for computer graphics you can get away with and are sometimes encouraged to do things that wouldn’t be good for CAD work.

i use blender (blender.org) for modeling. while it can be good for 3d printing it’s not really good for CAD type uses. it was designed more with 3d art and animation in mind so it does things differently than CAD programs.

it’s learning curve is admittedly pretty steep simply because of all of the things it lets you do. so i’m not sure i’d recommend trying to learn before the end of the contest but i definitely think it’s a worthwhile program to learn for art, animation, game creation, etc.

a fair bit less worth it if you’re only interested in CAD type uses.

(Mordax) #13

That’s something I didn’t realize, that CAD and 3D art/modeling have different techniques and tools. Although in hindsight it makes sense, since back in the day you’d have to get super creative with making a computer render 3D graphics with little memory.

I come from a programming and 3D printing background, so I’ve used mostly CAD programs. I’ve heard of Blender but yeah, I haven’t used it before. I’ve also heard Maya and 3DS Max being commonly used too. Sadly I think learning those tools are out of scope for me at this time. But seriously, thanks again for the helpful information, it definitely cleared some concepts up for me.

(Mordax) #14

So thanks to @daedalJS and the excellent advice they’ve given me, I’ve managed to lower the polygon count. In this post I’ll link all the assets that I want to be considered for the challenge, and the depreciated items will lose their tags.

Here’s a new item (since the server farm fell through), a cyberpunk bed:

And the final, assembled room.

(Mordax) #15

For posterity’s sake and for others who are interested in how I reduced the polygon count - I went back to my CAD design and ungrouped all of the models.

It was a massive pain, but it really does make a huge difference.

I then exported it as an .obj file, opened it up on 3D builder on Windows 10 and used its built in poly reducer to reduce it further (but ungrouping the models makes the largest impact). Then saved it and opened it up in Paint3D, painted the objects, had my stuff crash constantly because it’s a buggy piece of software and lost a ton of progress. Saved it again, doublechecked the polygon counts and repeated it for the other high poly items.

So thanks to all of that grinding, the room went from 124k triangles to just under 6k triangles. Still, trying to figure out why Spoke and Hubs scenes themselves show no texture on my models when I export them. :tired_face:

(Mordax) #16

Managed to make it work on Hubs! Check it out here!

(Daedal Js) #17

how did you get such an accurate floor plan in hubs/spoke?
even right up to the edges of the bed are mapped to let you teleport onto it and the small pathway around the bed lets you walk through it.

i was having a lot of trouble with it giving me very inaccurate floor plans that made it a mess to navigate in hubs. then it started giving me an error any time i tried to generate a new floor plan and i haven’t been able to do anything with it since because of that.

(Mordax) #18

@daedalJS Can you walk through exactly what you did for this issue to happen (I.e. completed room vs importing single models, file formats used, example hub scene URLs, etc)?

Spoke is still beta, in terms of errors importing and publishing to hubs, deleting the Spoke folder and relaunching the program should fix most errors.

(Daedal Js) #19

ah, i submitted teh whole completed room rather than putting it together part by part.
i know there are some spaces in the current version of my complete room room it wasn’t going to let me through but also there’s spaces where it weirdly doesn’t work on the floorplan… like the entryway, through a number of doors, and up the various ramps. i’ll try taking it all apart later to see if that works.

(Mordax) #20

@daedalJS I imported my entire completed room and it worked just fine. Try using the GLTF version (with the textures out of their subfolder) - delete your current Spoke folder, launch the program, copy and paste in the GLTF, bin and textures into the newly generated Spoke folder and select the gltf to add from the folder Spoke as opposed to using the SketchFab URL or glb. See if that works. If not, try using the glb file. I was using GLTF versions because Spoke screwed up my textures using glb, but maybe you’ll be fine since you’re using Blender.

If not, try taking it apart and put it together - but I should warn you that when I tried importing my bed, and then another gltf, it failed to show up, so you may be running into unnecessary wasted time.