Sketchfab Forum

VR fuelling project

(Joelyons) #1

Hi there,

I am working on a project at the moment where I am looking for a little advice. This is of an airport fuelling scene and is relatively heavy on the poly count at the moment and does not contain any animation yet. ( I may look to introduce 30 seconds of looping character animation if it isn't too difficult).

I am looking to get this ready to view on mobile and with google cardboard. I understand 500,000 polys is the upper limit of what sketchfab can handle on mobile.

I am hoping that someone may be able to give me some advice on best practice and workflow to achieve this. It's all very exciting still and hopefully someone may point me in the right direction to further optimise this scene and have it all nice and tidied up for mobile viewing.

Here is a link the main model that I would like to showcase. I would think that I may need to retopologised/reduced poly count. I also note that there is a little graphical glitching on the fuelling tube around the vehicle. https://sketchfab.com/models/210649e4e5cc42ab84e00d2e7c4efc6e

The image attached is of the current scene that I am looking to develop for mobile viewing. I have removed a lot of vehicles and characters that were in this scene for an animation. I think were up to around 20,000,000 polys in those scenes.

Any and all advice on tutorials/hints/tips/best practice would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Joe

(Shaderbytes) #2

Firstly you need to tone back all those post filters :slight_smile: I am actually in the process of finishing a tutorial for the sketchfab blog on this very topic. It really is spoiling the viewing experience when it is overdone.

Next as you mentioned it needs to be retopologized. Your model is basically in offline rendering format. Sketchfab is a real time rendering engine. Your model should be prepared for optimal performance based on this. All small surface detailing should be baked into normal maps and any other polygon reductions should be considered. The level of reduction is really up to you and depends on how many models will be in the final scene.

The glitch looks like duplicate geometry , so the faces are z-fighting.

I quickly uploaded a truck I used once as an asset in a game , I found the model on blendswap and did retopo/remodeling for my project. It was a very fast job and I did not do any proper texturing in regards to gloss and normals and metalness etc.. The point is to see here is the poly count, which is only 10k.

(Joelyons) #3

Hi Shaderbytes,

Thank-you for your comprehensive response! I look forward to seeing your tutorial once complete :slight_smile:

With regard to the post filters, do you mean the tags that I had on this post, which I have now removed?

Thank-you for showing me your example. I have been trying to research some of the best and efficient ways to retopologize and will be further researching this today as well as baking normal maps. I am a little out of touch with the workflow, however Pluralsight has been my guardian angel for the past few weeks with Maya.

It seems that with the models as complex as the ones in this scene it may just best to get stuck in work through each model component.

Just a bit of background on myself and level of skill. I started working with Maya about only about month ago as had become a bit rusty with 3Ds max, but fell in love with the Arnold renderer, (which is only just now available on 3ds Max 2018!).

I am now looking to learn a good workflow for sketchfab and other real-time rendering applications such as UE4. (I grew up making maps in UTED, and have a strong interest in real time rendering for education, viz/archviz etc). I have also recently completed a course in Autodesk Revit and seeing how that works with visualization software, however it is all moving so fast! [example of first attempt getting back into UE4 last year - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXOrImb594s]

I appreciate your response and any and all background reading you or others may link me to to learn and produce some exciting and engaging stuff :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Joe

(Shaderbytes) #4

post process filters are all the screen space filters applied to the rendering like SSAO ,DOF , Grain, Tone mapping etc..

Many aspects of all real time rendering are common and thankfully the internet is full of information :slight_smile: Find out about the latest popular toolsets for texturing and UV like Substance painter , 3DCoat , Quixel etc..

You main concern is to do a good retopoly/reduction model , do a good UV map layout and then do your hi to low baking.

There are tools for aiding retopo , some try do a full automated job while others provide means to guide the retopo process (3DCoat or blender via premium addons ) , in some instances agencies use automated software like simplygon to produce the LOD(level of detail) versions of models. Sketchfab does not have a LOD system but other game engines do.

(Joelyons) #5

Shaderbytes,

Of course, completely forgot about the post-processing filters. I will not be using them in this project, was just having a play! (Although I am a bit of a sucker for DOF, I imagine filters affect performance?)

I do own quixel and is about time to sit down again with it properly and look again at the workflow. Their tutorials are really nice and simple to follow. The others, substance painter and 3D coat look like they do a similar job. I don't have much in the way of textures in this scene at all as they're all solid surface materials, so just glass, plastic and metal. There is a character in the scene however may not include them this time around, depending on what is achievable, and where to remove detail to help reduce the complexity of this scene.

But yes, first things first and learning the basics of retopology/reduction and brush up on UV mapping and baking.

Kind regards,

Joe