Ways to improve materials?

materials

(Schneider Electric) #1

Hello,

I’m the 3D model member of my team, and we’re looking to improve our models.

Any advice to make this more realistic? They’re supposed to be ‘new’ products so we can’t incorporate any wear detail to them.

(Paul Sketch) #2
  • Perhaps try with different environment to get more contrasted rendering ?
    (Different envs also helps tweaking the material )

• very fine and small “grain/speckles” normal map ? often very solid plastic have that

• photo from the web of the model looks less rough to me (can even see the speckles in that pictures, that breaks uniformity on the shiny parts)

(Shaderbytes) #3

Yes as Paul mentioned it is having variance in the the roughness/spec that makes a huge difference. Even if the said variance is subtle it matters in regards to a more believable result.

I personally handle such micro surface detailing as a separate UV map , one that can be tiled so this makes it possible to use a small detailed hi-res texture and have fantastic detail on the whole material. ( optimizing load time + making the model use the texture in an efficient manner )

I also dont use normal mapping on micro surface detailing as it depth variance in reality is too small to bother loading another texture for.

Lastly Use AO. You can try just use the AO Post process filter , this works welll in most cases but it is a run time effect in the end so if you really want to push things you can bake some AO maps offline.

pros and cons : baking offline maps can lead to higher quality but that also then means loading more textures for the model. SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) The post process filter, requires no additional texture loads but not as high quality.

I normally do Baked AO in yet another set of UV. So Sometimes a material can have 3 UV sets.I dont alway bake offline maps , somtime SSAO serves me just fine

So far this pipeline has worked for me.

hth

(Shaderbytes) #4

as an example to just minor tweaks that make a difference , look at this :

At zoom out it is tempting to think the material is uniform in roughness but on close inspection you can see it is not.

(Schneider Electric) #5

Any recommended search keywords to find good grains/speckles?

(Paul Sketch) #6

I would try Noise, Tilable noise, ilable noise bumps, etc
Intensity have to be scaled to be small.
And you need UV to be tiled as said @shaderbytes
if you can, try dedicated texture tools (from substance/quixel/etc), they should help a lot coming to texturing.

(Tomatoheadstudio) #7

Totally agreed on adding micro-roughness details.
I think the name plate plastic has a little bit less roughness (maybe zero?). The power button also is shinier.
There is some Z fighting inside the network ports. The real ports have metallic contacts which are not in the model.
I think that although modeling the electrical contacts in the plugs is correct they are actually appearing way more than they would in real life. Other rendering/lightning solutions will make the model appear correct (less light will bounce inside the plugs holes) but maybe in the real-time rendering solution of Sketchfab you should make then less obvious by changing their material parameters.

Great model, btw.

(Schneider Electric) #8

Is there a way to remove the ‘edge highlights’ in the shadows of the model?

(Paul Sketch) #9

do you have a model link and/or an annotated screenshot pointing those “edge highlights” ?

(Schneider Electric) #10

this area

(Shaderbytes) #11

you can use SSAO for those narrow indents or another trick i use sometime is that any cross section surface or crevice I actually assign a unique material so that I can manually make it darker in the editor.

Here is a example of such a workaround :

The crevis should be the same material as the white plastic but I made it unique so I could control it more.