Sketchfab Forum

Weird lines going through model?

substance
3d

(Theboyoutside) #1

I am fairly new to substance painter and the whole 3d industry but every model i bake through substance painter always leaves these weird lines, it would be great if someone can help me fix this problem so my models look alot better.

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't help much, but I moved your question to the Substance Painter sub-forum.

(Theboyoutside) #3

ok thank you

(Dark Minaz) #4

these lines get created if there is not enough geometry to really bake it there (or there are some uv cuts) usually what helps is making 2 bakes, one with the checkbox on and one off (AVERAGE NORMALS) and kinda combining the good parts :slight_smile:

Or simply detaching the normal map from the baking slot and putting it on a layer (also add a mask) and fix is by not letting it affect that area.

made a little image to help you along :slight_smile:

(Dark Minaz) #5

Also a bit more infos

Playing with those 2 values might help to fix it for certain models

(Theboyoutside) #6

thank you so much for the help

(Theboyoutside) #7

ive tried so much stuff now including what you have said but the problem only becomes minimized, does this problem only happen to cylinders or round objects or could it be because i use 3ds max rather than maya or blender?

ive tried baking inside 3ds max 2017 with the software baker but i get the exact result from substance.

( i will be starting a college very soon on game art and they will probably help me fix this but i would like to know how to fix it before i start so i can get this out of the way)

ive also been looking around sketchfab seeing other peoples models and ive yet to see anyone with the problem

(Dark Minaz) #8

yes mostly round objects have that issue.
Since it tries to bake the round on the flat. IT works fine if the round is a) outside everywhere or b) inside everywhere

But if it's constantly going out and in it kinda has issues baking it properly.

Normals to play a role in baking so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU4mDVd_FeI
this might help a bit, but round cylinders do tend to be a bit tricky to really bake all that well :slight_smile:

(Dark Minaz) #9

here for example this should clear a few issues and explain a bit for 3dmax

(Theboyoutside) #10

thank you for all the help, it really helped me a whole lot
(even better preparing me for school :slight_smile: )

i managed to fix all the clipping issues with the tutorial and some research of your notes.

(Dark Minaz) #11

great :slight_smile: yeah baking is quite a huge chapter for mechanical stuff. Way simpler for organic it it's mostly just additional details rather than complex geo.

Glad i could help, good luck with your school