👋 Welcome to the Sketchfab API Developers Community

Getting started with the Sketchfab API

We offer several application program interfaces (APIs) that let you access and edit different aspects of Sketchfab. Our most popular ones are:

• Viewer API - Embed and control the 3D Viewer
  • Data API - Upload models and access and edit related data
  • Download API - Download Creative Commons models
  • For a full overview and reference documentation, see Sketchfab for Developers

Viewer API Examples

On the Viewer API Examples page you’ll find a list of the most common use cases. You can see each mini-application in action, edit the code in real time, test on your own model, and fork the code to JSFiddle and CodePen to continue working on it.

The team also publishes experiments on the Sketchfab Labs Experiments page, but these are usually not documented.

How to get help

The fastest way to get help is through our Development and API forum or on our Community Discord chat server. You’ll find the Sketchfab Developers and Support team there, as well as other API developers. We encourage public discussion as this benefits everyone, and welcome stories of your own development projects!

For more sensitive or business inquiries, you can contact our support team directly.

API Projects Showcase

Here’s a list of some ‘Configurator’ projects we worked on with clients:

If you’re interested in the business value of our viewer API, visit our Enterprise Blog. You’ll find some in-depth case studies of successful API projects here:

Hire a Sketchfab API Developer

Please contact us if you have specific development needs and we’ll introduce you to a certified Sketchfab API developer.

Staying up to date

Subscribe to our low-frequency API Developers Newsletter to receive updates as they become available.

You can also follow the Viewer API Changelog.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Edit code in real-time?

hi Bart, my question is : is the Viewer API works also in Android? i mean can i show the 3d window in an android app? (with the ability to rotate and zoom like in web)

As long as your embedded web view can handle Javascript that should work.

1 Like

What’s new in v1.10.0? I didn’t see any details in the Viewer API Changelog.

2 Likes

Is there a way to load the viewer into an AR environment using unity3d specifically?

If Unity can load a Web View in AR, I guess it would be possible to load the Sketchfab viewer, but I don’t really know much about that.

Seems reasonably possible. Thank you

Hi, are there API’s for the configurator aswel or only for viewer? Im currently making my own e-comerce website for sofas. I want to anable my customers the opportunity to chose if they want to buy predefined Sofas or simply change textures and colours before purchasing. I already have good 3d viewer/configurator. And im considering changing to skatchfab becouse of the convenience of not having to care about server issues and other stuff in regards of 3d viewer/configurator. And offcourse behind skatchfab is a big company…

So my main concerne right now is that i will have to pay again someone who has to make an 3d configurator from scratch with guidance of skatchfab. Or can someone give me more information how this works?

I was planing to go with the premium plan. And i already have contacted scatchfab with the same questions but after few days still no answer. So i figured maybe i have a good shot in getting a few answers here in the forum.

Thank in advance

Nikola

Hi @Nikolasime,
welcome to the forum!
The name of the Sketchfab API is a bit confusing, but the Viewer API lets you manipulate the model when you’re viewing it in a browser (e.g. in a configurator on an e-commerce website). You can show/hide parts, change materials and textures and much more.
You can find the docs here: Viewer API - Introduction - Sketchfab
I’ve got a bunch of basic Sketchfab samples to get you started: https://codepen.io/collection/DBGayV
For commercial use, the Premium plan is the way to go. You need that to use Sketchfab commercially and it has everything you need.
Klaas