We're looking for some awesome animation content

(Bart) #1

With the Sketchfab animation features coming closer and closer, we're looking for some über-awesome animation content! We'll use this to test our internal prototype, but also to create new teasers for our community.

Your animation might be one of the first on Sketchfab, ever! How cool is that? smile

We're currently testing different animation systems:

• Solid animation (like the teaser on the link above).
  • Character animation with rigs, skin and deformation.

Other systems, like camera animation, are not supported in our current version at this time.

To pitch your work, please:

• Export your model and animation to an FBX file and upload it to your Sketchfab account. Turns out this isn't a good idea - as animation is not supported on the site yet, it may turn your model into a smoking pile of rubble. Just email your file to bart@sketchfab.com and I'll forward it to our team.
  • Create a video of it on YouTube or create an animated GIF file.
  • Post your entry to this thread, include the video and a link to your Sketchfab model.

Note that the model does not need to be set as downloadable.

We'll pick the coolest ones, run them through our prototype and if we've satisfied with the result we'll post some new sneak peeks here on the forum.

Does that sound like fun? Let the animating begin!

4 features request. Make Sketchfab more closer to game engine
Status of animations?
(Simon Kratz) #2

Wow cool! Gonna prepare a couple of things immediately! smiley
Are morph targets / blend shapes a possibility, too?
Also from the Unity 3D game engine I know a couple of things that might be "interesting" in terms of solving it. Things that could be checked if they work, e.g:
Complex hierarchy, non-uniform scale, 0/0/0 scale, negative scale, animated normals and so on.

If its of value for you to find our if these special things work, too, I'll gladly prepare some nice examples smile

(Bart) #3

Morph targets and blend shapes aren't supported at this time. We have to start simple smile The other cases - definitely of interest, but let's focus on rigs/skin deformation and solid body animation first.

(Dennish2010) #4

Awesome : D I've been waiting for animation support on Sketchfab
so long : )

(Kokusho) #5

If, for exemple, I have 2 characters in my FBX files, both rigged and skinned and animated, if both skeletons have the same joint names, will it be an issue ?

(Cedric) #6

Hi,

It should not be a problem, but it's a good to test to be sure.

(Dennish2010) #7

I uploaded two files.
One file with armature deformation.

Gun Bot Animation Test by DennisH2010 on Sketchfab

and one file with solid animation

Suzanne Animation Test by DennisH2010 on Sketchfab

I have tested the FBX files in Autodesk FBX Converter 2013

(Bitgem) #8

Hello! I would like to pitch a few models too! Basically all the zombie guys are animated...

Zombie Boss
by BitGem
on Sketchfab

You can view the animations for the zombie boss here or other BitGem characters in action here .

Cheers! smile

(Trik) #9

Nice, looking forward to it.

(Punkoffice) #10

Hell yeah!! I'm gonna get my catwalk model friend back in the studio for this one wink

(Moroplogo) #11

I created an animation with Blender and I wait for 3 hours that Blender export my file to FBX. Is this normal? The file size is 28 Mo and the video lasts 47 s with 1150 frames

(Moroplogo) #12

Blender finished exporting the file after 7 hours of work, but when I open it with Blender there is only one image and a video with 250 identical frames! I will try again !

(Dennish2010) #13

Wow 7 hours sounds too long for an export, something goes wrong.
When you export a FBX out of blender, all the keyframes will baked.
In your case, you get 1150 keyframes per animated object in your scene.
How many animated objects do you have in your scene?

If you use an armature for your animation,
check how many actions you have created for your armature.

For example:
Walk-cycle, run-cycle or idle animation,
All the actions will be stored in the FBX file and every bone gets 1150 keyframes.
If you have 5 actions and 60 bones in your armature so you will get 345000 keyframes at all,
and one baked keyframe storage everything, the location, rotation and scaling, x y z so its a lot of data.
Maybe this is the reason why your export takes so long or fails, I guess.

(Nikohard) #14

This is the animation my colleague did for my Batman.

I have given the FBX file to Bart for testing.

(Dennish2010) #15

He moroplogo i made a tutorial about how to export a fbx file in blender with reduced keyframes.
How to Export a fbx file in Blender with reduced keyframes

Hope it helps smile

Here is a Chinese version of this tutorial translated by congcong009

(Punkoffice) #16

I animated my friend that I scanned

Diem Do - sleeveless by punkoffice on Sketchfab

and you can see the animations in action here:

But when I upload the FBX with the model and animation it ends up mangled within Sketchfab. Its uploaded to my account but not published

(Mind Chamber) #17

I had no idea animation is coming to sketch fab !..I'm totally excited about this. .it's the one feature I've wanted the most..and this will definitely bring me back as a premium member..thank you!

(Bart) #18

Here's a new sneak peek! It's @dennish2010's Gun Bot:

(Dennish2010) #19

Wow, Awesome : ) it's alive MUAHAHAHA xD.
Can't wait to have this in sketchfab.

(Simon Kratz) #20

Nice! Hope i get mine done soon, too smiley Not a rigged char but some solid body animation