What if you could bring back prehistoric monsters. AND RULE THE WORLD

contest
3d

(IllusiveBear) #1

A boy dreams of bringing back the dinosaurs. Is this a mad man in the making or just a harmless dream?

I really wanted to make someting about a childs imagination and the games you used to play as a kid. And haven't we all travelled back in time and tamed dinosaurs after reading too much Calvin & Hobbes?

I started out making some sketces, as one usually does. And I took inspiration from my old toys and our washing machine.

Then I started making some 3d using my pal 3ds max

Next up will be the child and his oversized shirt.

(IllusiveBear) #2

And here is the Sketchfab embed. It will be updated as I progress.

Mad Science WIP by Bjorn on Sketchfab

(Mcsephiroth1313) #3

I'm really lovin' the cartoony style. Keep up the good work.

(Theedstar1) #4

I agree i am loving this style and the move away from straight proportions man and the shading ......... i have been struggling to get lighting to look like this for a while do you maybe have some pointers on how you issue your lighting ? would be helpful to me .... thank ya

(Bart) #5

Great start, and welcome on board! Don't forget to subscribe to the contest updates thread to receive a notification when we have news to share.

(IllusiveBear) #6

Hey man, thanks for the reply.
For now I am using an unlit scene in 3ds max with the "Standard" material and in Sketchfab I use the defult settings with the classic renderer and lit shading.
The standard settings in Sketchfab are acually really nice for the style I go for in my other models as well.

(Theedstar1) #7

NO way ! Its that easy? wow who knew ill give it a try man thanks for the help

(Michał Orzechowski) #8

Cool and original! I really like the idiea behind it.

(IllusiveBear) #9

Update here: Done with the body of the character. Because of all the folds on his shirt I just modeled the entire thing in a pose. I think that will be faster than trying to rig and skin everything. Next up will be the face and hands.

(Bart) #10

Hi,

a quick personal reminder that the Mad Science contest closes next Wednesday (midnight, 23:59 New York time). So whatever you decided to do this weekend - you'd better cancel it and finish your entry :slight_smile:

As always, you can read contest updates here, and if you have any last minute questions feel free to email me at bart@ this website.

Good luck!!

(IllusiveBear) #11

Final update here: Its finished :slight_smile: The last few days I forgot to take pictures for the updates, but here is the final result. i even added some animation to liven it up.

A kid and his time machine -Mad Science contest- by Bjorn on Sketchfab

(Edvin Borkovskij) #12

Ah good old childhood. Thanks for the nostalgia. :smiley:

(Michał Orzechowski) #13

I love the result - very funny!