Which 3D Scanning Hardware & Software should I Review in 2017?

(Nicklievendag) #1

Updated March 16, 2017

2016 was a great year for me! I've tested many 3D Scanners and professionalized my blog along the way. It's now at 3Dscanexpert.com and contains over 170 models (totaling 70 million polygons!) of 3D scan examples — all embedded through Sketchfab!

I'm making a list of scanners to test this year and would appreciate your input! First Let's list what I've already reviewed and planned:

Professional 3D Scanners

Infrared Depth Sensors

Upcoming Hardware Reviews (confirmed)

• Wacom MobileStudio Pro (with RealSense R200)
  • Orbecc Astra S
  • Artec Space Spider
  • HP Sprout Pro G2
  • Matter and Form Bevel
  • Scan in a Box

Photogrammetry Software Reviews

Upcoming Photogrammetry Software Reviews

• Agisoft PhotoScan
  • Reality Capture
  • Microsoft 3D Capture (when it's released)

That brings me to the question:

Which Hardware of Software should I (try to) add to that list in 2017? :slight_smile:

P.S. - I always publish the review results as Sketchfab Collections for your convenience. Follow me to get notifications about them!

(Nestor F. Marques) #2

Hey @nicklievendag, great blog, you have a new follower!

Have you considered reviewing some photogrammetric techniques and also rigs and comparing them against each other or against other 3D scanning systems?

Here you have some examples of photogrammetry made by myself that you may like.

National Archaeological Museum of Spain
National Archaeological Museum of Naples

(Nicklievendag) #3

Thanks!

Yes I have. I actually forgot to mention that on top of the Photogrammetry Software, I'm also going to test some hardware. Including electric turntables that can auto-trigger a camera/smartphone, etc. Maybe even a full-on 100+ cam rig... An interesting year it will be!

(Duplicate 3D | 3D Scan & Design Service) #4

I love to see a review if the Kinect V2 (Xbox one) on Windows. :relaxed:
I'm figuring how to get it working propperly. It's better quality than the Kinect V1